Skip to main content

Conform

When Jackson was little, he was always dressed to the nines. He had more pairs of shoes than me as an infant. Why do infants need shoes, anyway. I will say, little baby feet are the cutest and even more adorable in little shoes. I had to have the cute diaper bag. His stroller fit the plaid Graco trend that was hot in the mid-2000s. It mattered. I don't know why, but it did. By the third kid, not so much.

The younger boys had their country fair the other day. I asked them if they wanted to dress in western wear. Here is how the conversation went...

Me: Boys, do you want to wear cowboy clothes for your country fair?

Boys: What does that mean?

Me: A button up plaid shirt and jeans.

Boys: (with a look of disdain) Ummm...no. That's okay.

My boys don't do button up shirts. Jeans? You would think I asked them to wear pants made of needles so those are out, too. They would rather where athletic shorts and flip flops; the youngest in a long sleeved shirt to top off the fashion trend. If this were my first born, he would probably have worn cowboy boots and a bandanna with his jeans and plaid shirt. Partly because I think it's adorable and partly to conform. It's a country fair for goodness sakes. We WILL wear the proper attire.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

I like that my kids don't care about some stuff; that what they wear doesn't matter much to them. They have no desire to conform and I like that. It is empowering. I wish I could be more like that: not care what people think when I don't conform.

God calls us not to conform. It's no secret in the Bible that we aren't supposed to fit into this world. Love this world? Yes! Fit in? Not necessarily.

I wonder how much healthier we would be if we wouldn't be so concerned with fitting in and a little more confident in our non-conformity. I honestly believe a lot of our issues stem from wanting to conform and fit in and not being able to. We weren't built to conform. We were made to stand out in our uniqueness to bring beauty, grace, and goodness to this world.

My prayer for me, for my kids, for my friends, and for you is that we all choose to wear our athletic shorts when everyone else is wearing cowboy boots. Why conform. It's much more fun to go rogue and be exactly who we are created to be. Be a rebel. Run from conformity.

Don't be afraid to wear those athletic shorts!

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.