Skip to main content

The Promise Land

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

We Christians like this verse; like A LOT. We have it written all over the place. We hang this verse up in our home and tattoo it to our bodies. Jeremiah 29:11 is everyone's life verse. I mean, who doesn't want to rest in knowing the God has a plan for our life; especially when that plan includes safety and prosperity. Even if I didn't believe in God, I would hold onto this verse. What if, however, we have been misinterpreting this verse all these years?

This life, the here and the now, we like it. Well, some of us probably want to throw this life in the trash like a rough draft and have a do-over. But, for the most part, we hold onto this life for dear life. It is all we know. It can be scary to think of anything else. Because of this, we go all in even when the cards we are dealt are bad.

This life isn't our Promised Land.

Let's go back a ways and talk for a moment about the Israelites. The Israelites are a Jewish people. They believe in and follow God. We read the Old Testament and see that the Israelites had a tumultuous relationship with God (Kind of like us, right?). One minute they were fully devoted to God and the next they were worshiping a golden calf. They struggled. They were enslaved and exiled. They wandered a desert for forty years. But, God continuously restored his people. Time and again, God, in his great mercy, redeemed the Israelites. In the book of Jeremiah, the Israelites are exiled from their home in Jerusalem. They looked to their life on earth and forced it to become their "promised land" instead of following the ways of the Lord into the true Promised Land. They sought after false prophets of their time to justify their lives and deem everything fine. They denounced any teachers who tried to convince them they aren't living in accordance with God's plans.

The Israelites took matters into their own hands and attempted to make their life on this side of Heaven their promised land. What they didn't realize, is that their Promised Land could only be found in God.

As much as we think the Israelites and the Old Testament is boring history, we find ourselves in their story more often than not. We are the Israelites. We are wandering our own desert looking for the promised land not realizing it is right in front of us.

The Israelites wandered the desert for 40 years before entering the Promised Land. Scholars have determined that the journey should have taken eleven days. Eleven. Instead, it took them 40. Wow. How often do we wander searching for a land of peace and prosperity not ever finding it?

Our Promise Land is not this life. Our Promise Land is eternity.

Let's return to Jeremiah 29:11. God tells his people that he has a purpose for them; that he has a future and a hope that includes prosperity. The Israelites thought that meant right that minute in that life. I believe God meant a life in him and a life to come. Because their life didn't fit the mold of Jeremiah 29:11, they forced it. They went out of their way to find people to justify their actions and way of life. They were not living in accordance with God and knew it. Yet, they found a way to justify their life anyway. Because of this, they moved further and further away from their Promise Land.

We do the same. We are constantly searching and forcing this life to be our promise land when it was never meant to play that role. This life is a stepping stone to the Promise Land.

"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, :and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." Jeremiah 29:12-14

Do you feel like you are in exile from your life? Are you wandering the desert with no reprieve in sight? It took the Israelites years to figure out their wanderings and that the life they were living was not their promised land. All God wanted them to do was seek him. He declares that in Jeremiah that when we seek him, we find him. He promises to bring us out of the captivity of our current situation and into the place he has promised us.

Exile is always followed by restoration. Where do you need to be restored today. Deliverance does not depend on your own accomplishments or good deeds but on his mercy and kindness.

The Promised Land is waiting for you. It is time you stop wandering the desert and seek God. He wants to be found by you.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.