Skip to main content

Monday Musings~Abundance

"From His abundance we have all received one gracious blessing after another'" John 1:16
Abundance. What comes to mind when I say that word? Material objects? Having much of something physical? I believe that when the word "abundance" is spoken our minds automatically think of the material. We are trained to do this really. We are inundated with the next best cell phone, house, car, outfit, shoes, etc. that we absolutely have to have right now or else it will be forever gone out of our reach; possession. I, however, began to think differently when abundance was said ever since we moved to Texas.

Abundance to me is not about having a lot of things. Ironically, I am in a place in my life in which I have a lot of things. I don't necessarily want a lot of things nor do I care if I have a lot of things. I am just at a place where it is possible to have a lot of things. Things to me are just that; things. I cannot take them with me when I die, they are fleeting, they brake, only fill the void for a moment, and can distract me from something much more important in life.

When I read John 1:16 I do not think of His abundant blessings as things He has given me. No. Rather, I think of the exceeding joy and happiness that Scott, Jackson, and I have experienced ever since we moved to Texas. Yes, we were very happy before. And yes, we have faced great trial since being here. However, something my pastor said in regards to this topic yesterday rang loudly in my ears. Frisco is a transplant city: many people have moved here from out of state. Yesterday, Pastor John said, and I paraphrase, "I don't care if you are from SoCal (he actually said Southern Cal but that sounded weird to me so I changed it...lol), Florida, Michigan. etc. You are in Texas now. This is your home. Start living it up and enjoying yourselves here and stop looking back at what was once your home."

One thing Scott and I have done since moving here is embrace this place. I never thought I could do that but feel so free. I lived in SoCal for 29 years not moving out of Orange County all of my life. I never thought I'd ever be able to make another place my home. Yet, God has abundantly blessed me here and I am not talking about physical possessions. I have never laughed more with my husband or son, enjoyed parks and zoos, explored new places, sat and been still, met so many new people, gone out of my comfort zone to experience something or someone new, etc. I have never felt such at peace before. I have never sat back and enjoyed my life as much as I am doing right now.

One thing I told Scott when I wanted to quit my teaching job was that I wanted to quit so I could start enjoying every single day of my life. That was also my prayer. This is unusual for me because I am a fast-paced Californian who likes to be on the go, go, go and I LOVED my career. However, once I had Jackson I realized what all those crazy adults around me were talking about: life does go by in an instant and if you are not careful, it will pass you by.

We have learned, and the state of our economy proves it, that life in abundance, material abundance, is not necessarily life at all. Now is the time to start living abundantly in love, laughter, family, friendships, being still, enjoying the quiet moments, watching your child discover something new...Live abundantly in the simple things in life. You will breath a little slower and realize that your life is of abundance.

"To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away." Matthew 25:29

Comments

Melanie said…
Well said sweet friend!
Becca said…
I just love reading your posts like this!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.