Skip to main content

Grady's Story

Grady Steven Fish 7lbs. 3oz. 19 1/2inches
April 25, 2009
4:45pm



SURPRISE! Actually, I think absolute shock is more appropriate!

This was me a week ago...happy at 36 weeks pregnant with not much happening. I thought for sure that I had at least 2 weeks left, if not four. I did, however, frantically run around town that day getting all the things I thought I needed to get just in case. Good thing I am a little neurotic and OCD because it paid off a few days later.

I have had contractions on and off since I was 25 weeks pregnant or so. I never thought anything of them because they were so sporadic and fairly painless. Friday camearound and I noticed that I was having more contractions than usual. Grady was still moving about so I didn't worry much. Around 2:30pm that day I laid down because the contractions were coming on a little stronger and closer together. I called Scott to let him know and honestly, to see when he was coming home from work. Jackson was still napping and I wasn't sure how I'd be with him when he woke up since I was hurting a little. Scott got home, thankfully, and told me to call my doctor. Being the fabulous wife that I am, I didn't take his advice and thus, didn't call.

My contractions continued but were not regular so I told Scott to go out to his boys night and had some friends over. I, along with Bre and Heather, fed, bathed, and chased around 4 toddlers. I was sore but nothing major. I went to sleep Friday night feeling okay. I woke up around 1:45am with some heavy duty contractions but they went away so I went back to sleep.

I woke up Saturday morning still feeling not myself so I finally listened to my brilliant hubby and called the doctor. She told me to go in just to make sure I'm not dilated and so she could possibly give me meds to stop the contractions. So, I took my shower and my time and finally made it to the hospital around 11am. I told the nurses that my doctor made me come in and that they were probably going to send me home. They all laughed at me and I honestly wondered why.

I put on my pretty pink nightgown and the nurse came in to hook me up to the monitors and check me. To my shock, I was already dilated to 4 cm! I told her to "shut-up" and that there was no way I was dilated that much! My doctor came in a little while later and told me they were going to continue monitoring my contractions (which were still sporadic) and check me one more time to make sure I didn't dilate more. If I was still at 4 cm I'd be going home on bed rest. I began to daydream about my juicy hamburger and french fries that I was going to get when we left.

So much for my juicy burger. There I stayed in my hospital bed because I had dilated to 6cm. The nurse graciously brought in a deliciously smelling lunch tray for my sweet wonderful husband to eat. It was now 1:30ish and the mad dash began. A friend of mine who is also an OB told me I was going to have Grady by 4pm so Scott rushed to get me and Jack's bags (thankfully the OCD worked here because I was already packed) and get back to us. Of course he had to stop by his favorite 7-11 to get a ginormous soda. Bre arrived while he was gone and was sweet enough to quickly give me the pedicure that I had planned for the afternoon. Amanda arrived soon after to help me through this crazy day!

Bre got my toes painted just in time. I quickly got my epidural and some pitocin to speed up my contractions sometime between 2:30pm and 3pm. I was checked again and already 8cm. I couldn't believe it. My doctor came in around 4:15ish to check me and do a "test push." I thought I'd still have some time to mentally prepare myself that I am actually having this kid but no, I apparently was ready to push. I guess I began pushing at 4:38pm (Scott got a text at that time) and Grady arrived at 4:45pm. We were joking and laughing in between pushes. It was nuts!


And then he was here. A crying healthy big baby boy!




Scott and I were completely blown away. We could not believe that Grady was here and SO healthy! We had been anxiously awaiting this day for a long time!

Big brother Jackson is LOVING his little brother! He talks about how cute he is and wants to hold him all the time. His new habit is to come to our bed in the morning and watch a show with Grady. He is very sweet and kind to his little brother. I am excited to watch their bond grow over the years!












Grady is well loved already!







We are beyond blessed and thrilled to have this new addition to our family. We are astonished at how good God is! Grady is healthy with no complications measuring in at 38 weeks instead of 36. We cannot wait to share him with all our friends and family in California and here in Texas! Thank you ALL for your prayers, love, and support this past week and through the last year and a half. It has been quite a road for us. God is so good ALL the time!

Comments

GioMitchTrev said…
What a beautiful story. God is GREAT!!!! He is absolutely stunning my friend. I can't wait to meet him!
Such sweet pictures! We're so excited that Grady is finally here...early too! He's so precious! Love ya!
Nikole said…
What a beautiful post! I'm beyond thrilled for you and your family.
The Bullards! said…
Congratulations Fishies! Grady is perfect and healthy and adorable and already is such a little blessing. I just love him!!!!!!!!!Oh and you guys of course too! LOL!
Unknown said…
congrats megan! you will love seeing jackson as a big bro... i prayed for your night last night hoping you are getting enough sleep... what an exciting birth day grady had.... and how wonderful your sweet friends are!

becca maritt
Michelle said…
Megan! God is so good! I am so happy for all of you! He is beautiful! Congratulations on becoming a family of four, its so much fun! Call me if you need anything and once you are up for it lets get together!
Anonymous said…
OMG,
Megan and Scott
Your second little fish is merely wonderful Congradulations... Jackson I know you will be a wonderful big brother. Love and Huggs from Miss Laura (Kindercare California)
Carly Peters said…
Yay!!! He is so beautiful, I'm so glad everything went so smoothly for you guys. I bet Jack will be an awesome big brother!!! Love you all!!!
Romberg Family said…
What a great day!! That was just way to easy! I am so glad that he is finally here. He is definately worth the wait!! :)
Kristi said…
Congratulations! What a great birth story- you're a rock star!!! He's a precious baby boy.
Shannon said…
Oh my goodness, Megan! Congratulations! You are the most beautiful woman in labor that I have ever seen! I'm so glad that you have such wonderful friends to be there for you - I want Bre around next time I have a baby! Grady is just absolutely perfect and a wonderful picture of how God is so incredibly good beyond anything we could think! Can't wait to meet Grady!
Becca said…
WOW!!! What a story to tell him when he is older. I am assuming that Scott there in time. Grady is just beautiful. Congratulations!
Lisa said…
Congrats girl!! He was just ready to be apart of the party I guess :) Glad everything went so beautfully! God is good!
Lindsay said…
Congratulations! He is perfect! I just love Baylor Frisco :) I love his car seat, too! Oh how Blessed you all are! ~L
missy said…
Wow! You really are a rock star goddess ;).....I'm SO happy for you and I know that our God will continue to bless you and your sweet little family. I had Grayson at Baylor, too...aren't they the best?! I love you darlin' and hope to meet Mr. Little Fish soon!!
Carrie said…
Congrats! I don't know how I missed that he was born already. Guess I've been missing in the "blogging world". Congrats anyhow! Hope your loving each day!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.