Skip to main content

Joys and Sorrows

Ok,so I don't really know what to say. All I know is that writing is therapeutic for me and I think I need a little therapy right now. Where to begin? I guess with my doctor appointment. I went in for my routine 12 week check-up only to find out some grim news...the baby had no heartbeat and stopped developing at 10 weeks. No...this cannot be happening...again. There is just no way. God wouldn't allow this to happen again. Yet, it did.

How am I feeling, you ask? Honestly, I don't really know. I am deeply saddened, angry,hurt, overwhelmed, fearful, determined, full of faith, lacking in faith, etc., etc. How should I be feeling? What should I do now? Do I sit and cry or do I go finish the errands I need to get done today? I am at a loss.

What I do know is that less then a week ago I was experiencing such great joy. I watched my son enjoy the very things I loved as a child. I enjoyed time spent with my husband and with us as a family. I felt my toes in the sand, watched my favorite baseball team play, went to the happiest place on Earth, Disneyland, and got to see loved ones. I was also, I thought, in a good place with the Lord. When we got home from vacation I was so content enjoying each moment of everyday thanking the Lord for the blessing of allowing me to live this life. And then darkness fell.

Oh how the darkness just plain sucks! It really does. There is no way around it; no nice way to say it. Isn't ironic, though, that right before the darkness, and sometimes during, something is revealed to you. I was reading a book called "Ruthless Trust" and finished it yesterday (of course). As I was reading I was so inspired and felt I knew the area I needed to trust God more in. Well, I guess I was wrong. Now I am challenged to have "ruthless trust" in God in an area where I don't know if I can trust Him, to be completely honest with you. I mean, I know I can, I just don't feel like it at the moment. How can I? I trusted that the first pregnancy would turn out okay and I miscarried. I trusted that I would be okay this time and now it is almost even more difficult because the pregnancy lasted longer and we did have hope because there was a heartbeat. Yet I am called to trust. And not just trust, I am called to have a ruthless trust.

Hmmmm...how am I going to meet this challenge? How am I going to stop fearing what could be and start trusting what the Lord says will be? I don't know. What I do know is that He will be with me every step of the way supporting me when I fall and feel like I can't do this anymore and walk beside me when I am strong again. This is hard...beyond hard. The pain runs so deep that it feels like it will never go away. However, I remember back just 4 months ago when I was in the depths of despair thinking I'd never get pregnant again or get over the anguish of losing that pregnancy and here I am, alive and still breathing even if only barely.

That last experience made me stronger, more empathetic, more appreciative, more content and will help me through this. No, it doesn't make it any easier or better, it just helps. I, we, will survive this. My marriage will be stronger, my love for and appreciation of my son that much deeper, my faith that much wider. How can I not go through this with those things to gain? I will be tested. I will weep. I will scream. But I will laugh again; have hope once more. All because I choose to have ruthless trust!

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Comments

Lindsay said…
I love you Friend!
Whitney said…
My heart just breaks for you. I am so sorry that you have to endure this. Please remember that your friends and family love you so very much and pray for your healing. I know that your strong faith will help you cope with your loss. Your little angel baby will be in our prayers. We love you and are here for you!
Melanie said…
Strong words from a strong woman. Love you friend. You are truly an inspiration!

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."
Romans 12:12
I just sent you an email too! I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I am here for you if you need anything and my thoughts and prayers are with you, Scott, and Jackson. I love you!
Becca said…
I am so sorry!!! I understand a little how you feel, it happend to me during that same week. I know that there isn't much anyone can say or do to make you feel better. I want you to know that I am here for you if you need to talk. I know talking about it helped me. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
The Bullards! said…
I am so glad that I was able to be there with you today, to cry with and even in those raw half hysterical moments that we even laughed. (very hard I might add)You are my best friend, a true inspiration and testement to Gods love. You know we love you and that we are here for you 101%.
Carly Peters said…
We are so sorry for your loss. We have already been praying for you, Scott and little Jackson. Sounds like you are on your way to ruthless trust. We love you all soosoo much!!!
Rachel said…
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. My heart breaks for you. All of us are here for you if you need us. Big hugs and prayers for you and your family.
BML said…
Sniff... I love you. I'll be there in a heartbeat if you need me. Just say the word.
Anonymous said…
You are truly inspiring and I admire your strength and faith in God.

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.