Stuck. Icemaggedon. Entombed in ice. We were warned days ago that we were going to experience the storm of a lifetime; to be prepared to be stuck in our homes for a few days. The stores were packed and shelves cleared by panicked patrons trying to stock up. I thought we had enough but am now craving enchiladas so bad I'd walk ten miles for them. Funny what you would do when you don't have the freedom to do what you want when you want.
As I got a quiet moment in the middle of the day today I began to think about this moment and how many of us are going stir crazy and it's only day two of what could be a four day or more entrapment. God tells us to be still. We talk about, preach about, read about, and pray about being still. However, I don't think we practice being still. I was outside with my middle guy watching him break icicles off plants and eat them while trying to stay on his feet. As I watched him, I listened. There is something very still and quiet after a snow storm (or, in our case, an ice storm). There's a peaceful silence that falls on the earth after a good snow storm. A quiet that stops you in your tracks and demands you to be still.
God says in Psalm 131:2 says, "But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content." How often do I calm and quiet myself? Am I content in the still moments? This icemaggedon has forced me into a state of calm quiet stillness. I am forced to do nothing but enjoy the people God created me to love; my family. I have time to be still, do nothing, be lazy, pray, rest, be quiet with Him. What an incredible blessing.
I was thinking earlier today that maybe, just maybe, this storm was exactly what God wanted for us. It literally stopped us in our tracks. People who have ventured out have either gotten stuck or realized that staying home just may be a good idea. I feel like we are all stuck in the story of Mary and Martha.
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:37-42
All too often I am Martha; easily distracted by all that needs to be done. I am liking being Mary at the moment sitting at the feet of my King enjoying the stillness and celebrating the life He has before me. I will rest. I will enjoy my family before we all venture out in our many different directions once the ice melts. We will eat too much, laugh hard and often, snuggle, watch movies, sled down steep hills in makeshift sleds, and take naps. We may stay in our pjs a little too long and stay up a little too late. But through it all I will enjoy His quiet stillness.
Love & Blessings from the Frozen Tundra,
Meg
Grady Steven Fish 7lbs. 3oz. 19 1/2inches April 25, 2009 4:45pm SURPRISE! Actually, I think absolute shock is more appropriate! This was me a week ago...happy at 36 weeks pregnant with not much happening. I thought for sure that I had at least 2 weeks left, if not four. I did, however, frantically run around town that day getting all the things I thought I needed to get just in case. Good thing I am a little neurotic and OCD because it paid off a few days later. I have had contractions on and off since I was 25 weeks pregnant or so. I never thought anything of them because they were so sporadic and fairly painless. Friday camearound and I noticed that I was having more contractions than usual. Grady was still moving about so I didn't worry much. Around 2:30pm that day I laid down because the contractions were coming on a little stronger and closer together. I called Scott to let him know and honestly, to see when he was coming home from work. Jackson was still napping and I wasn...
Comments