Skip to main content

FINALLY

I am FINALLY coming out of the fog of the in-between. Have you ever been in the in-between leaving a season of something behind looking ahead to what will come next but you aren't quite sure what that is or what it looks like? I feel like this has been the longest in-between for me. About three or four years ago I entered this season reluctantly. I felt things end and shift but wasn't quite sure what was on the horizon. I pondered, searched, and forced many things to happen. It wasn't until this past year when I decided to rest in the Lord did my in-between start coming to a close and the beauty of the new awakened.

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

I can't say that I was always joyful, patient, and faithful in my time of waiting. I questioned God and wondered what my purpose was outside of mom, wife, and friend (as if that isn't enough). I knew deep down that there was something out there waiting for me. I also knew that God needed to do a work in me before I could get there. I needed to journey through and purge out some stuff; some gunk. But, being the girl that I am, I didn't want to wait or be patient. I wanted to get there now, maybe even yesterday.

I remember when Scott and I were first married. I was always in such a rush to get to the next thing. I couldn't enjoy the moment I was in because I was so ready for what was to come next. On one occasion, he told me to stop praying for patience because it was now effecting him. I don't pray for patience anymore. I have learned my lesson and know trials regarding patience are a given.

It wasn't until I decided that the in-between was a good place to park that God revealed Himself to me. I was too busy trying to figure out the mystery of my future to see, hear, and know Him and the greatness He had planned for me in the next season. I needed to sit, walk away from a few commitments that I loved dearly, and rest in His constant stability. I am learning that as things in our lives change, become chaotic, or, on the other end of the spectrum, boring, He doesn't change. His Word, His sovereignty, His grace is sustainable; never-changing.

'He says, "Be still and know that I am God..." Psalm 46:10

Being still is a tough concept for me. I struggle with stillness and silence. One might think I would enjoy the quiet given I have three young boys and a obnoxious dog but it's a real challenge. This season of in-between has enabled me to see the glorious richness in the stillness. Although what is yet to come isn't here yet, there is magic, peace, security, and grace in the in-between. There is breath and life in the stillness. Once I learned that, I grasped onto the in-between like it was my job. God weaved His way in and out of my life reaching to the depths of my soul. I kept feeling Him ask me, "Are you ready for this? Are you ready for what is about to come because I am going to absolutely knock your socks off!" I also heard, "Be patient. Be still. I am not finished with you yet. You still have something to learn before I can move you forward." I wouldn't have heard or felt Him if I didn't grasp tightly to the in-between; if I didn't rest and be still.

So, now what? Now that the in-between is winding down and the next chapters in beginning what do I do? I miss the in-between. There was security there for me. I became attached to that space. It was comfortable. I think because I learned to hold tightly to the stage of emptiness and realized that it is just that: a stage, I learned that every phase we go through is magical. There is refinement in the ugly grueling trials. Discovery happens when we rest. Courage comes when our faith is tested. We just need to learn to hang on and enjoy the ride.

"The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey through this vast wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything." Deuteronomy 2:7

Forty years! The people of Israel were wandering through the wilderness for 40 years! My four year in-between moment is but a flash compared to theirs yet God said that He watched over them. He did not leave them in that journey even though they felt far from Him. I know it's easy to talk about those lonely in-between times once you've peeled yourself out of them, but I am here to give you hope. There is another side after the in-between. Your dry bones will come together once again refreshed and ready for battle; ready for the goodness that is to come. We must only rest and let God do His work in us in those in-between times then, and only then, will we truly be ready for the vastness and greatness He has in store for our lives.

God grabbed me. God’s Spirit took me up and set me down in the middle of an open plain strewn with bones. He led me around and among them—a lot of bones! There were bones all over the plain—dry bones, bleached by the sun. He said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” I said, “Master God, only you know that.” He said to me, “Prophesy over these bones: ‘Dry bones, listen to the Message of God!’” God, the Master, told the dry bones, “Watch this: I’m bringing the breath of life to you and you’ll come to life. I’ll attach sinews to you, put meat on your bones, cover you with skin, and breathe life into you. You’ll come alive and you’ll realize that I am God!” I prophesied just as I’d been commanded. As I prophesied, there was a sound and, oh, rustling! The bones moved and came together, bone to bone. I kept watching. Sinews formed, then muscles on the bones, then skin stretched over them. But they had no breath in them. He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath. Prophesy, son of man. Tell the breath, ‘God, the Master, says, Come from the four winds. Come, breath. Breathe on these slain bodies. Breathe life!’” So I prophesied, just as he commanded me. The breath entered them and they came alive! They stood up on their feet, a huge army. Then God said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Listen to what they’re saying: ‘Our bones are dried up, our hope is gone, there’s nothing left of us.’ “Therefore, prophesy. Tell them, ‘God, the Master, says: I’ll dig up your graves and bring you out alive—O my people! Then I’ll take you straight to the land of Israel. When I dig up graves and bring you out as my people, you’ll realize that I am God. I’ll breathe my life into you and you’ll live. Then I’ll lead you straight back to your land and you’ll realize that I am God. I’ve said it and I’ll do it. God’s Decree.’” Ezekiel 37: 1-14

Don't be like the dry bones proclaiming you are dried up all hope lost. Let God breath life in you, especially in the in-between. If He says it, He will do it.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.