Skip to main content

Blessing Beyond Perfect

Everything was going smooth Thanksgiving Day. The tables were set. The turkey was cooking. Family and friends were on their way. The house began to bustle with people and scents of fall flavors. I started the gravy while everything was wrapping up for our feast. As I am working on the gravy, I notice that it is just not coming together like it usually does. The color is almost black and it is chunky yet oily. I keep working only making it worse. I do believe this gravy was the most disgusting thing I have seen in all my years as a rookie culinary artist. I had never had gravy issues but on this day, that magical sauce was atrocious and definitely not edible. Of course my ego led me to believe that I didn't need any store bought back-up gravy. So, there we sat on that beautiful Thanksgiving day with a feast that begged for gravy and there was none. Even though the gravy was an astronomical failure, the day was still wonderful. Although not perfect, the day was blessed.

My friends and family have had a fun time teasing me about my gravy debacle. They know me well enough to know that I like things perfect. I like everything in place, pretty, with no blunders. I also know how to laugh at myself from time-to-time. I learned that day that life doesn't have to be perfect to be blessed. I used to look at other's lives and think they had a pretty perfect life. I saw all their blessings and determined that they must be living in perfection. What I didn't see was their struggles that didn't show; you know, those things that remain behind closed doors that we don't air out in public. My family had some pretty difficult times, especially when I was in high school. I remember looking at my pastor and his family and wishing mine could be more like theirs. Little did I know what was really going on. My pastor's family went through hell and back yet all I saw was a happy, healthy, financially stable family perfectly living the life.

I think Christians, and society as a whole, sees blessings through earthly specs instead of heavenly glasses. We see the cars, the nice home, the 2.5 kids, and a dog and think, "Wow! That person is so blessed! Their life is perfect!" What we don't realize is that heavenly blessings don't always come in material things, or even health for that matter. Being a Christian, being blessed, doesn't mean we have it all together and life is always sunshine and lollipops. I believe blessing is an eternal term. We are blessed when we live with an eternal perspective; when we grasp that blessings don't always equal perfection. I can be sick yet blessed. I can be in financial despair (which I have experienced), yet still be blessed. I can have issues in my marriage, frustrations with my boys, or conflicts in my friendships and still be blessed.

It took me a long time to realize that blessing doesn't mean perfection. There is an underlying appreciation for life that brings upon blessing. Once I realized, truly understood, and held onto His saving grace did I really realize what being blessed was all about. A little over a month or two ago, 21 Egyptian Christians were taken to a beach and beheaded for their faith; for being "people of the Cross." The men never wavered in their faith. They were deceived into thinking they were being picked up to get work when, in reality, they were kidnapped by terrorists. They were taken from their wives, children, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and friends. They were not given a choice in their suffering yet they never wavered in their faith. As they walked onto the sand in orange jump suits about to face their fate, they sang hymns. I guarantee that if we were given an opportunity to ask, those martyrs would say they were blessed; not because life was fair or fantastic, no. They would say they were blessed because they knew their Savior; they understood the complexities of eternity and that all we have in this life will fade in an instant.

It's not about the stuff, or the health, or whether or not every single heart's desire or prayer request is granted. Blessing beyond perfect is being content in the imperfections and realizing that the blessing doesn't come in in the form of a perfectly written life story. Blessing comes from an eternal perspective and a life lived in a constant state of contentment.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." Philippians 4:11

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Maria said…
I wanted so badly to like that gravy, I really did. I mean really....Thanksgiving dinner without gravy??!!? That hadn't happened to me in 30 years. I almost called a taxi! I love this entry and you so much! After this Turkey Day, I'll have Thanksgiving at your place with or without gravy any time. SMOOCHES!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.