Skip to main content

Winter Funk

I drove down my favorite road in town past my favorite ranch and the trees were in full bloom. It was as if the buds opened over night. They were beautiful and a much needed sight. We had a mild winter here in North Texas. Most days were sunny patio weather until February hit. While January usually feels like it goes on and on forever, it came and went quickly. February, however, was a beating. The sun forbear to shine seeming to have packed his bags and bid his farewell to the northern section of our mighty state. The temperatures quickly dropped from flip-flop days to hats, gloves, boots, jackets, and scarves. We were stuck indoors because North Texans cannot pull it together enough to drive in ice and snow. We all enjoyed sleepy family days and too much hot cocoa for a moment but were ready to get back outside.

And then it happened. All of a sudden, as if overnight, the trees began to bloom, the grass shifted from yellow to green, and the birds started chirping again. Hallelujah, spring had sprung. And let me just state that spring is not my favorite. I am a fall girl. Spring brings on allergies and tornadoes that send me into the fetal position needing anti-anxiety meds longing for earthquake country where I came from. But, I digress. This spring is different and I have gained a new appreciation for the beauty in this season. I drove slower along my favorite little country road basking in the view of the horses out grazing on the newly green grass and astounded at how everything seemed to bloom overnight. It's crazy how that happens. We all long for warmer days and a greener landscape as opposed to the brown starkness of winter. It seems like forever is passing before we see that first bud and then BAM, the whole earth is new and fresh again.

Doesn't it seem like trials are the same? We are immersed in the yuck, the hard, the ugly. Forever passes and we are still there stuck in the darkness. And then one day, one day, we are new again. Our smile comes back. We feel a little normalcy return. Life goes from bad to normal and while we don't forget the tough road we just traveled, the pain has released it's mighty grip. Funny how that happens.

We have a little park across the street from our house. Half of the trees have sprung to life. The other half are taking their time awakening. Trials are like this too, I believe. Sometimes it takes us a little longer to pull through. Our struggle has a little tighter hold and we need more time to bloom. But, one day, we will blossom and be beautiful again. It just may take a little longer.

I don't think it is by accident that our lives mirror nature. Our God is a great Creator. Seasons happen in our lives and in our world. We can learn by watching the transition of the leaves from bountiful, to stark, to beautiful once again. Our lives follow that pattern. We move from fulfilled to empty and filled again throughout time. Yet, I think it's difficult for us to remember and find hope that we will see beauty when all that is in view is ashes. We won't remain desolate. While He may keep us in the dessert for a period of time to learn, grow, and be stretched, He won't keep us there forever. I think, or I would like to think, that one of God's greatest blessings is watching us go from bare to full bloom. He makes everything new: the trees, the flowers, and even our lives. So, as you watch the earth come back to life, remember that holds true for you.


He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." Revelation 21:5

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.