Skip to main content

I Didn't Know: Ramblings on Motherhood

When I was in college, I had my life planned out. I would be married with at least one child by 24 and eventually have a boy and a girl. We would skip merrily through our life with smiles on our faces and color coordinated outfits. Ha. Boy, was I wrong. I got married at 24 but didn't have my first child until I was 28. He was a textbook pregnancy and birth. The other two? Not so much. There's so much to motherhood that I didn't know. I thought I was well-prepared having been around kids most of my life. I had changed countless numbers of diapers and knew how to entertain kids. I went to school to be a teacher for goodness sakes. I knew kids. Or, at least I thought I knew. And then I had my own.

The moment they put my slimy screaming first born on my chest life as I knew it changed. The world stood absolutely still in that moment. Nothing else mattered. After hours of labor, we became a family of three in a matter of seconds. I thought I knew, but in that very moment I realized I knew very little. I didn't know that I would watch my heart live outside my body and in these three little beings that called me mommy. My heart beats deeper now and feels so much more than I could ever imagine or describe. I didn't know what sleep deprivation really was until my days and nights seemed to collide into one big loop of feedings, diaper changes, spit-up and the sweetest baby smiles in the universe. I didn't know I would be so willing to give up my sleep for a 7 pound wiggly little person that took my breath away. I didn't know that my body would be forever changed. I thought I'd bounce right back to my pre-baby size. I also didn't know that I while I'd still be fighting to get the baby weight off five years later, I'd be proud of my scars for they meant I grew a life inside of me and got to experience one of life's greatest miracles this side of Heaven. I didn't know I'd be looking at my reflection when I looked at my children; that I would see the good, the bad, and the ugly in myself. I didn't know that they would be the teacher and I, the student; they teaching me far more than anything I could ever teach them. I didn't know what being proud meant until I watched my son live out what true character looks like. I didn't know I would be so willing to give up my life, my dreams, my desires in a heart beat if it meant giving them life. I didn't know I would be challenged to the depths of my core and humbled to my knees every single day. I didn't know what real laughter was until I heard his first giggle. I could listen to that sweet sound on repeat all day long. I didn't know that life could be so full, so hard, so challenging, and so rewarding all at the exact same instant. I didn't know that life sped by and stood still together until I had kids. I didn't know that motherhood is an honor and a privilege and that you are part of an unwritten tribe. I didn't know that I would feel completely alone yet totally full at times. I didn't know I'd be so terrified yet so at peace knowing everything will be okay. I didn't know my faith would be molded and shaped by them. I didn't know I'd see Jesus when I sat at the breakfast table staring into their little faces. I didn't know.

Motherhood is a grand adventure. You step onto this terrifying yet magnificent roller coaster of a ride and hold on for dear life. As you bend and twist through the curves and loops, you scream and wonder if you are going to survive. Yet another day passes and everyone is still here, still fed, dressed, and alive, and you think, "Yes! I did it! I made it through one more day and we are all still here and somewhat happy." You can't really describe motherhood to someone. It really is an experience to be lived out. It's a mysterious journey and we are all hunting for the well-written manual. We will never find the neatly written out guidelines on motherhood because everyone's journey is uniquely their own. That's the beauty of the disaster that is motherhood: we are all on our individual journeys trying so desperately to raise these children right yet that journey bonds us so deep even if we don't know each others' names. We are puked on, hair pulled, black circles under our eyes, clothes too tight, hair a mess, desperately needing a shower or to go to the bathroom in peace yet we would not change it for a second. These little beings have put our lives on hold so we can soothe them one more time or watch one more episode of Peppa Pig. Just when we think we have had enough, they turn to us, touch our faces in their precious little hands, and whisper, "I wuv you, mommy." And there we sit in a puddled up mess of tears ready and willing to anything and everything for them. Motherhood is precious and priceless; indescribable.

I believe motherhood mimics the breath of Heaven. We get tired, frustrated, and worn down yet we push forward because we know the prize that lies in those big eyes that stare back at us through an innocent face. Children challenge us and push us to the edge propelling us to grasp onto our faith with everything we got, which isn't much. We seek grace every single day because without it, we wouldn't survive. Hope is a common undertone: we hope we sleep, hope we don't have to change our clothes a dozen times the next day because the baby won't stop emitting bodily fluids all over us, we hope he doesn't cry so much, we hope we aren't screwing this whole thing up. Motherhood is a journey I was not prepared for and I don't think I would want to be if I could. I like the mystery that comes each day even if I want to beat my head against the wall at times;) I am tired, worn down, and beaten. The circles under my eyes are intense; the wrinkles and gray hair approaching entirely too fast. Yet, I would not change it for the world. Well, maybe I would get that pre-baby body back. Motherhood is an exceptional journey not for the faint of heart. Hold on tight and be ready for the ride of a lifetime!

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.