Skip to main content

Not Fair

I was driving through a neighborhood on a very hot Texas summer night. I began praying for Jack's time at camp. As I looked around at the beautiful brick homes and pristine lawns, I couldn't help but start thanking God. I am still in awe that I get to live where I live and that my son has the opportunity to not only go away to camp and ride bumper cars and go-carts, ride water slides, and play arcade games, but also has a chance to know Jesus better. I thanked God that I get to live freely in my beliefs without persecution. I thanked Him for His provisions, our health, my marriage, the family that loves me, my friends, and then I began to cry. I thanked God for the countless blessings that make up my life but I was completely broken. Life isn't fair.

I get to drive a nice car and drink water safely from the tap. I don't have to worry where my next meal comes from or what clothes I am going to wear. My biggest frustrations are when is the construction on our pool going to be done and a chipped back tooth that I need to get fixed. It isn't fair; life that is. I was broken thanking God for my blessings because there are WAY too many people who don't get to live my life. I don't think a day goes by that I do not experience some kind of heaviness for others and I am not just saying that. My heart, mind, and soul ache for so many. And here I sit in the nice cold air conditioning while they suffer. My life isn't fair.

"But someone who does not know, and then does something wrong, will be punished only lightly. When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." Luke 12:48

I have been entrusted with much and I hate to admit it but, I have not fulfilled my requirement. I enjoy my cush life a little too much and do not sacrifice and give enough. Now, like I said before, I carry a heaviness with me every day for others. I think that heaviness drowns me sometimes sinking me to a place of overwhelmed, so much so, that I don't know what to do, how to help, or where to start. I often joke that when it comes to helping, I want to save all the puppies. You let me go down the rabbit hole of adoption and I want all the children. Ask me to serve with a sex trafficking non-profit and I want to put my combat boots on and save all the girls. I feel so inadequate and helpless.

I believe when God puts us in a place of wealth, freedom, or comfort He's not asking us to rescue everyone and stop every injustice. That is impossible. What He is asking of us, of me, is to just start. Start somewhere. Do something. One thing I learned from Christine Caine (A21 Compaign) is that if we just start by helping one, we will have helped many. It starts with one: one person, one action, one sacrifice.

I was talking to some friends at the end of the night that I felt my life was unfair. We were talking about how we can serve and give of ourselves better. One thing I think we all agreed on was that we have to find that one area we are passionate about and run with it. One of my friends is passionate about injustices to children. I have no doubt that one day she will create a nonprofit herself but she knows she has to start with one child and start the journey there.

If I focus on all of our world's problems and social injustices I may crawl into a hole and cry. It's too overwhelming. But I do know that I can start with one: one action, one prayer, one financial sacrifice, one Saturday to serve someone else in need. That's all it takes to get the snowball started.

Instead of looking at my life as unfair I will see it as an opportunity to fulfill my requirement from God: serve others passionately and completely in the realm He has gifted me. It only takes one.

"God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." Hebrews 6:10

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.