Skip to main content

Fear Mongelers

It was a cold snowy and icy day about two years ago. I was at work and got notice that my oldest was on lockdown at school. A man had threatened his girlfriend, pulled a gun on someone, stolen a jeep, painted said jeep, broke into a few houses, and was on the run. He went through a few cities before ditching the jeep and hiding in the woods a couple miles from my son's school. This man was a known felon and dangerous. I knew my son was safe but was freaked out nonetheless. I get my littles home from preschool (they were three and four at the time) parking my car at the bottom of my driveway. My steeper-than-any-mountain-you've-ever-climbed driveway was covered in ice and I knew I needed to be able to get back out to pick Jack up as soon as the lockdown ended. I get the babies out of the car and we jam inside closing the garage and locking the door behind us. The boys were gathered by the back door so I went to shew them into the house. As I did this, I heard the garage door open. What on God's green earth! I began freaking out thinking the craziest thoughts. Did the felon make it to my house and is trying to get inside to hide? Did I lock my car? I swear I locked my car? How did the garage door magically open? What is happening?

Of course my husband is out of town, so I text my neighbor. She is not home but suggests I call the nonemergency police line. I had two little guys inside. I did not want to leave them to investigate whether or not a crazy man was hiding out in our garage. I call the line and tell them my story. They send an officer to my house. I paced in my living room looking out my front window. I was still in my hat and puffy jacket too stunned to take anything off. As I was waiting for what seemed like an eternity, I slipped my hands in my pockets and what do I find? My garage remote. Seriously?!?! It was ME who opened the garage?!?! I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. I had to make the humble phone call back to the police station letting them know that it was in fact me, the crazy mama who let her mind go there, who opened the garage not some mad man. I lost my cool and my mind for nothing.

I think we do this a lot. At least I do this a lot. I tend to scare myself into panic mode and don't rest enough in reality. Joyce Meyers says, "Worry is a down payment on a problem you may never have." Ain't that the truth. We've heard a lot of talk about God, this Jesus character, and the fate of the world lately. Oddly enough, this is nothing new. The controversial God-topic has sustained since the dawn of creation. Everyone gets a little scared when we talk about Jesus. The nonbelievers fear the Christians are out for a takeover pushing their values and beliefs into the homes and lives of those who do not believe. Their fear manifests in protests, laws, and groups formed to suppress faith. Christians fear Jesus is going to become extinct because it seems He is slowly fading from our culture so they scream their agenda a little louder in order to feel heard. Then, a blood moon rises and everyone freaks out terrified of the unknown and that the end is near. I sure hope if the end is near I didn't waste my last meal on a protein shake. Give me a cheeseburger and cheesy fries!

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 13:30-31

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them everything I have commanded you." Matthew 28:19-20

Let me speak to the nonbelievers first. Rest assured, generally speaking, us believers do not desire to shove our faith down your throat forcing you to believe what we do or else. Now, that doesn't mean there aren't some really bad examples of our faith out there. There absolutely are. Just like there are loving and kind atheists, agnostics, new agers, humanists, etc., there are a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. Christians desire to show the love of Christ in such a way that they don't speak a word yet you are drawn to them. Jesus commands us to love our neighbors and spread His Word. Sometimes we get a little too passionate or over zealot. Sometimes we become clingy or a little stalkeresque. Sometimes we smother and don't come up for air when we are talking about our faith. Know that we are not doing this to fulfill our plans for a take-over. Just like you, we are passionate about what we believe. It just comes out scary sometimes. There's no fear to be had that the Bible thumpers want to have mind control over you. I promise. And if you meet someone who behaves that way, kindly walk away. Christianity is based on love and grace not fear.

Now, to us Christians. There are a couple things I want to say here. I have noticed that the moment our "religious rights" are threatened in the least bit, we go off the deep end. We forget that just because we were founded on Christian principles does not give us security that we will stay that way. This doesn't mean that we don't fight for what we believe. This just means that we don't have to jump off the cliff of fear when our faith is pushed on a little. Lest we forget in Matthew chapter 10 verse 22 Jesus says, "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Time and again we are told that we may encounter suffering and persecution for our faith. Being a believer doesn't mean we will walk the easy road. Even though our faith will be tested, we have hope because at the end of it all, we are saved by grace. Continue to stand firm in your faith and following Micah 6:8 which says, "...To act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

The last area I want to touch on when it comes to fear and the believer is fear of world events. Humans in general need to feel a sense of control and need an explanation as to why things happen. We need something to cling to when things get scary or don't make sense. For instance, there was a lot of buzz circulating about the blood moons. And when I say a lot, I mean scholars have dedicated their lives to finding meaning behind these events and desperately trying to attach it to Scripture. There's two things I want to address. Jesus tells us that His second coming is not going to be a red carpet event. This doesn't mean he won't come in an extravagant way. This just means that we don't know the how or the when. 1 Thessalonians 5:2 says, "For you know quite well that the day of the Lord's return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night." Unless you haven't settled things with the Lord, this should bring you comfort not fear. Knowing that He's coming anytime should ease our anxieties when catastrophic world events happen or unexplainable astronomical wonders occur. Christ's return isn't scary for the believer.

I am currently studying the Bible as a whole story. I am learning that the Bible is unified from Genesis to Revelation. What is told in the Old Testament strings together with the New Testament. Studying Scripture this way has brought me such a peace and an understanding to something that once seemed so foreign. I say this because the Word should bring you peace even when everything around you is at unrest. Things that were prophesized before Christ walked this earth came true when He arrived on scene. That alone should remove all the fear from you whether you no matter life's circumstances.

Zechariah 9:9 says, "Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey." Daughter of Zion or Daughter of Jerusalem refers to the people of Israel, better known as, God's people. This is important because this prophecy written in the Old Testament written 500 years before Christ was fulfilled in Matthew 21:6-9 which says, "The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt, placed their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, 'Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord."

What do these verses have to do with squashing our fears? Everything. Time and again Old Testament prophecy is fulfilled in the New Testament. This should give us peace not make us cower. No matter what we face, no matter what life throws our way, Jesus is there fulfilling promise after promise after promise. Even if the worst thing happens, I still have hope because He promised to save me and I will see Heaven one day. If you believe in Christ, this world is not all there is. There is comfort in the fulfillment of the Scriptures. When everything gets wonky and out of whack, rest in His Word. It is good. SO good.

Lately I have been told that I seem to have it all together or nothing seems to ruffle my feathers. I come home and tell Scott this and we laugh and laugh. He and I both know that I can have some pretty epic freak outs. I should have him record it one time and post it to YouTube. I am sure I would get an Academy Award for best drama. Look, I am human. I get scared. I scare nonbelievers with all my Bible talk and I fear my sons will grow up in a world without God. And then I bring myself back to reality and realize that my God is never-changing. He is fully grace and He is fully love; never one without the other. His Word holds true fulfilling promise after promise. There is nothing to be scared of and I promise all you non-Christians out there, I really am not that frightening!

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.