Skip to main content

When Life is Just Too Dang Hard

I was running the other day and completely fell. Let me be real here. I am a complete klutz. When our instructor told us to run backward, I knew I was in for it. I was running along when my heel hit a lifted piece in the pavement and down I went; imagine a big ugly fall. It stung pretty bad, so I sat there for a minute and then knew I had to get up. What I really wanted to do was cry and give up. But I couldn't. You see, I had convinced my husband to come to this class with me and when I work out with my man I become my 18-year old self where I have to impress him looking like Wonder Woman. So, I get up and try to walk it off. I get to the corner of the building where there is a bench longing to sit down. I had what felt like the worst Charlie horse from my left hip down my hamstring to my knee. I wanted to give up because it hurt but knew the moment I sat down I was done. I decided to try and walk it off and it worked. I jogged a little and felt better with each step I took. I got around the building to find my group perplexed at where I had gone. I guess they hadn't gotten too worried since no one sent out a search team for me. I ended up finishing the workout thankfully only bruising my backside. I write this comical, yet painful, story to laugh at life's hard times and those moments when we want to quit. But, let's face it, life can be too dang hard sometimes.

I can look back on my life and remember all those seasons that hurt so bad; those times that seemed like the pain was never going to end. I can feel the fear and anxiety I felt in those moments wondering if I would be okay and if life would ever feel normal again. I remember being in the ER with Scott when I was pregnant with Grady. We thought we had lost him. I remember looking at Scott telling him I was done having kids if the doctor gave us a negative report. I was so tired and exhausted from life being so hard that I was done; completely and totally wiped out. Thankfully, God was not done and Grady was born healthy as can be. I have had moments in my marriage, in my relationship with family, and in seasons of my own life where I was flat out done because life was just too dang hard. But, I am glad that I have a God who is not done. He pushes me past the unimaginable when I have lost the ability to fight. He moves me closer to Him in those moments when I feel so far away.

I think back to Abraham, Moses, Job, and Joseph and wonder what history would have looked like had they given up on themselves and on God. They certainly were justified to give up. I mean, God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son. Moses wondered in the desert with some very wishy-washy and angry people for forever. Job lost everything: his family, his land, his health, you name it. Joseph was sold by his own brothers and then wrongfully imprisoned. Yet, somehow someway by the grace of God these men didn't give up when life seemed impossibly hopeless. We see this throughout the Bible: men and women pushed past the edge of life being too hard and then God comes in and rescues them. God fulfills His covenant through Abraham. Moses leads his people to the Promised Land and gets to see it (not live in it) with his own eyes. Job was blessed a hundred-fold. Joseph's brother's bowed down to him. What would these men have missed if they had thrown their hands in their air and said, "This is just too much. I am done."

What do we miss when we give up? What limitations are we placing on God when we tell Him life is just too dang hard? Our obedience to God should not change whether or current situation makes sense or not. He always ALWAYS has a way out and always blesses the faithful. His way out may not look like ours. It's most likely better. Sometimes life has to be hard and not make sense before the good stuff can happen.

I can't help but think that our life stories are a part of a grander picture. Although God spoke directly to them, there was no way for Moses and Abraham to truly know the ramifications of their obedience especially during those hard times. Yet, they remained faithful even when they couldn't see and wanted to give up and God blessed not only them, but countless generations to come.

I may get bruised. I may not understand. It may hurt beyond belief. But, I will remain faithful for the end as far greater than the middle of my story.


"When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles." Psalm 34:17

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.