Skip to main content

Steady

Ok. Let's talk about the latest controversy in American culture: the red cup. Lord have mercy, y'all. I have two things to say about this topic. First, let me tell you how I got here.

I was driving a back road to a friend's house. This road is lined with beautiful sprawling homes, pastures, farms, and a few ranch properties. I love this road. I was driving and in the distance I saw a steeple. The white structure looked stunning against the beautiful blue sky and fall foliage. That steeple literally stopped me in my tracks and got me thinking about that silly red cup. The thought that came to mind was: steady. I felt like the Lord reminded me to steady myself; to realize and understand that while I may feel like Christ is being ripped out of everything I know in my surroundings, He is still there; steady. Just because Christ isn't portrayed through the symbols of Christmas on a red cup that is sold at a non-Christian business does not mean that He is gone. He is still alive in me, in my heart, in my actions, in my life. The presence of God does not escape the world just because people and businesses deny Him. He is still there. He is steadily moving in the lives and hearts of the people He created regardless if we see it in our culture or not. He is working in the lives of the 30+ Christians that ISIS recently released from captivity. He is moving in the Iranian prison where Pastor Saeed Abedini is being held for his beliefs. He is on our campuses, in our work place, and at the PTO meeting. He is even in our politics. Gasp. So, just because we don't see His presence on a red cup does not mean He is gone. He is steady.

Secondly, I want to talk to us believers. Let me start with some Scripture for He says it far better than I ever can or will.

"Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God;" Romans 14:10

Many are disturbed that a cup is receiving all the attention right now. Christians are condemning other Christians for fighting this battle. While I do believe we need to take a breath and think before we speak or move into action, I can understand the perspective of the red cup fight. God created us all uniquely for a specific purpose. What you believe passionately about and fight for is not my platform nor mine yours. We have got to stop attacking each other because we do not feel like someone's argument has enough meaning. I have a friend who passionately serves the Lord through foster and adoption. While I would love to be able to do what she does, that is not my calling; not my fight. I have another friend who works tirelessly to teach women to love themselves from the inside out through health and fitness. While I love being healthy and working out, this is not my cause; not my fight. I have another friend who gives of herself tirelessly to preschoolers loving on those families like no other truly showing the love of Christ. While I love teaching and children; this is not my fight. Just because my passions and what I fight for does not align with these does not make it any less valuable. So, while many Christians feel the red cup fight is ridiculous, it is not to those who are passionate about keeping the name of Christ out there in our culture and society. Everything we do, we do for the kingdom. Nothing is more important than the other as long as our motives are to bring glory to God and Jesus to those who do not know Him.

Imagine how many people are talking about Christ and Christianity now all because of a silly red cup. How many homes had the news on this morning when the red cup story came on talking about Christianity? How many conversations began because of this red cup?

So, I guess what I came away with was that Christ is still very present in a world that seems so far away from Him. He is steady and that brings me peace. I also learned that while I may not agree with someone or align with their passions, when I take a second to look at things through their lens, I gain a new perspective and can see the hand of God at work in what seems like a really silly headline story.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31 (emphasis mine)

Love & Blessings,
Meg


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.