Skip to main content

Bold

And Mary said, "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for He has been mindful of the humble state of his servant." Luke 1:46

I had just finished helping with Grady and Wyatt's school Christmas parties. I headed over to Jackson's classroom and helped set-up for his party. I had a few minutes to spare before the kids came back, so I checked my phone. I was surprised to see a missed call and voicemail from Scott. We usually text throughout the day rarely talking on the phone. Plus, he knew where I was and usually doesn't call or text me when I am at the boys' school. Somehow seeing that missed call, I knew something wasn't right.

I listened to the voicemal. "Hey Meg, it's me. Something interesting just happened. Give me a call back. Love you!" His voice didn't sound steady like it usually does. I tried calling back to no avail. I tried again. And again. And again. I had completely forgotten that he was driving into the office so him being in an accident was the furthest thing from my mind. I thought he got injured at home or something happened with his job.

Finally. Finally, he picked up after my umpteenth call.

Me: Hey babe. What's going on?
Him: I flipped my jeep.
Me: You what?

This conversation went on in circles like this until I could wrap my head around what happened and he could get the words out. He needed me to come get him and I needed to see and touch him. He told me he was fine but I needed to see it for myself. Still in shock I went back into Jack's classroom to get him. The boys had early release that day and I didn't know how long it would take me to get to Scott so I had to take the boys with me. I looked at Jack's teacher and stumbled over her letting her know I had to take Jack because his dad was in an accident. She gave me an extra hard hug and let me know she was praying. I somehow managed to calmly tell Jack we had to go because daddy was in an accident but that he was alright. We gathered Grady and Wyatt and were on our way.

I remained calm during all of this. Call it shock. I call it God. I knew in my heart Scott was ok. I talked to him. I also knew I had three boys watching me and I didn't want to freak them out. We drove down the country road to the main highway where the accident occurred. I couldn't see anything right away and then there it was: off in the distance were what seemed like a million flashing lights and a line of traffic being rerouted around the scene. Thankfully I couldn't see Scott's Jeep yet.

We pulled up onto the scene behind a police car. The firetrucks were still blocking the Jeep. I turned my car off and told the boys to stay put. I began walking towards the accident and there he was leaning against the cement barrier. The wrecker already had the Jeep in chains pulling back upright and there was my very best friend standing there perfectly healthy with not one scratch or bruise. I slowly walked towards him almost as if my body couldn't will itself to run.

I can remember the peace I felt walking towards him something fierce. The scene was bizarre: a Jeep on it's roof with the driver standing to the side in one piece. I got to him and hugged him tight. Never once did my heart race or hands shake. The only time I felt anxious was in the hallway when I couldn't get a hold of Scott. Other than that, I was in perfect peace and complete control. If you saw me in those moments you would've thought it was any other Friday for me. I cannot explain this other than God. God was there walking beside me knowing I needed peace and that I needed to be calm for our boys.

I made a bold statement on social media after the accident. I posted a picture of the Jeep on its roof and told people, "If you don't believe in God, you should." Pretty bold of me to say something like that. I meant it. Call it lucky. Call it blessed. I call it God. He appeared that day. He wrapped my husband in His arms as his Jeep turned onto the driver's slide and slid across traffic into the oncoming traffic lanes. This highway is always busy. The fact that not one soul was coming at my husband while he slid to the other side of the road is a miracle in and of itself. He didn't brake one bone. The windows were shattered, yet he had not one scratch.

"It's easy for you to say God showed up because your husband walked away from that accident. What about all the others who didn't?" The fact that we were blessed beyond measure that day is not lost on me; not one single bit. I know and believe that God shows up in the good stuff and the horrific. My bold claim had everything to do with the outcome of Friday's accident being nothing short of a miracle. I can't explain why some miracles happen and others do not. All I can do is shout from a mountaintop that God exists and still works miracles today.

..."holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm..." Luke 1:48-50

I have been on both ends: the miraculous and the horrific. I will proclaim his name in ALL circumstances. Whether in the miraculous or the disaster, God shows up.

Almost sixteen years to the day Scott was in another car accident. That accident did not turn out as well. He was hurt and his car was totaled. The day after that accident I called him. I hadn't talked to him in eight months. We had broken up but for some reason I felt the need to call him. I remember sitting on my little apartment balcony with a blanket over my lap and colorful Christmas lights on the railing. He picked up and told me he couldn't believe I called. He told me how he had gotten into a car accident the day before and that was the moment; another miracle. You see, that accident so many years ago was a huge wake-up call for Scott. It was a tap on Scott's window from God letting him know it was time to believe. Sixteen years ago a car accident changed my husband's life forever. It was a miracle. Sixteen years later, we witnessed another miracle but now we had three little people watching. What a testament of faith for our boys.

I stand by my statement. If you don't believe in God, you should. He is righteous and true full of miracles even in the darkest of hours. Mary got it. She remained faithful in her belief and to God even when things didn't make sense. She gave birth to the One who would forever change the world. If Mary didn't believe in miracles, we would never have had a Savior.

I believe in God the Father
I believe in Christ the Son
I believe in the Holy Spirit
Our God is three in one
I believe in the resurrection
That we will rise again
For I believe in the name of Jesus
The Creed

Love & Blessings,
Megan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.