Skip to main content

Muddy Boots

My eldest was acting mopey. He said his throat hurt and couldn't go to school. Thinking he may have strep or some other sickness, I kept him home even though he didn't have a fever. About an hour into our morning, he came into to ask me where his shoes were and told me he felt well enough to go to school. Off he went to school magically feeling like a million bucks.

He came home from school happy and healthy but then the dragging and mopey behavior started. We were all outside playing, Grady and Scott throwing some baseballs, when I noticed Jack slip inside. I went inside and asked if he wanted to go on a walk. We like our walks together and I thought it might cheer him up.

We started out on our usual route when I asked him if he wanted to cut through the fire road. The city built a small road that cuts through the pasture that divides our neighborhood with the next one. The road is fenced off with a "No Trespassing" sign. You can easily unlatch the gate (it needs to be easily accessible for fire fighters)so I told Jack, "let's go." Being my rule follower, he was apprehensive telling me that if the police come he was going to tell them it was my fault we were there (I'm rocking this parenting gig).

We wandered down the road talking a whole lot about nothing. He was dribbling a basketball as he walked beside me. This has become his new favorite thing. I asked him why he was down and out lately and he told me he didn't want to tell me. I pried some more and he resisted. I couldn't let it go, so I reminded him that me and his dad were his safe place to land no matter what he needed to tell us. He still didn't bite.

We continued along the road and ended up at the other neighborhood. The lake that is at the back end of our neighborhood sweeps around to this neighborhood as well. I asked him if he wanted to trudge through the muddied grass to get to the lake and he obliged. We walked as far as we could sloshing through the sinking mud. He was wearing his basketball shoes and had practice that night. I kept laughing and telling him his dad was going to freak out that I allowed him to get his shoes muddy before practice. We kept going, of course. I told you I am nailing this parenting thing.

We ended up turning around before we got to the lake probably out of shear laziness. It was hard to walk in the sticky mud trying to dodge the holes. So, we turned around and found ourselves a little grass area to sit down and chill. I sat on his basketball while he lounged in the grass. We began talking about his bummer attitude again with him continuing to resist. I finally got the jest of what was ailing him: silly school friend stuff; the kind of stuff that bugs you and hurts you when you are in fourth grade. I don't know if me prying really helped him, but it helped me. I got to be his mama loving and listening to him.

We got up from our spot and meandered down the block. A couple of homes are under construction in the neighborhood so we decided to take a tour. We walked through the home talking about what we would do if we lived there and what daddy would like about the house. We came out and played tic-tac-toe in the dirt.

We continued on our adventure back towards home. I walked behind Jack because there is no sidewalk on the main road. The sun was setting and it was getting chilly. My boots were heavy from the thick layer of mud I acquired down by the lake. I watched my son walk in front of me getting bigger by the minute wondering how I got so blessed to be a part of his life. I realized in that instant what I already know: God is good; so very good.

The sunset was pink and all kinds of orange. The air was getting brisk and we were almost home. I went on this walk wanting to snap my son out of a ho-hum place and instead of me fixing him, God showed up. I saw God so evidently on that little walk. He was intertwined in our conversations and along the road. He was present when we laughed getting ourselves stuck in the mud. He opened my eyes and my heart to see the awesome human he created and continues to create in my first born. He painted the skies so I could be in awe of the artistry as we walked home. As much as Jack needed someone to walk alongside him reminding him what a cool kid he is even when others say hurtful things, I needed to see and feel God and I did.

God shows up if we allow Him space. In the sunsets. On the road. When you get mud on your boots. He is there. Present. Always working.

You are all
big and small
beautiful
and wonderful
to trust in grace through faith
but i'm asking to taste...

for dark is light to You
depths are height to You
far is near
but Lord, i need to hear from You

be near, oh God
be near, oh God of us
Your nearness is to us our good
be near, oh God
be near, oh God of us
Your nearness is to us our good, our good


Shane & Shane - Be Near Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.