Skip to main content

Wave Maker

It's no secret that I LOVE a good project. Scott and I dream of owning a ranch house and some property one day. I joke that we'd be great at doing a big renovation but we may not make it out alive. We've been through two big construction projects building our house and redoing our backyard. To say we hit some bumps in the road through the process is an understatement. My friend was baffled by the crazy stuff we've gone through. I told her I was beginning to think it was me. I do not always wear my Sunday best when dealing with contractors. I try but man, it's tough. All this craziness had me wondering if we were really having construction issues or I was just being ridiculous.

Are you making waves in your life blaming others or life circumstances instead of taking ownership? I despise conflict. Truly, I do. I would rather have a smile on my face than a fist in my hand. I am wired for peace not conflict. However, like most people, I have had my fair share of issues with others over the years. Sometimes I am really good about looking at the reflection and taking responsibility for my actions. Other times, I like to ignore my stupidity and the way I have hurt someone. While other times, I completely miss it and cannot see my wrong-doing not because I am ignoring my faults; I am just ignorant. Life is messy and hard in and of itself let alone having to deal with and own our junk; especially when we have done wrong to another.

I began wondering, after all this construction craziness, if I was a wave-maker. Do I create conflict or is it a product of my situation. Sometimes conflict is unavoidable and necessary. Sometimes we pick and pick until conflict arises. Other times, we create conflict just because we don't know how to live without making waves. I don't want to be a wave-maker.

I was listening to a podcast from one of my favorite preachers last night. He said he no longer likes to give advice to people when they come to him. He said he was only going to give advice from the pulpit from now on because no one wants to hear what he has to say anyway. He claimed, and I have to agree, that people don't really want our advice. Unless our advice matches their agenda, people don't want to hear it. They will continue to search until they find the one soul who agrees with them. I have to concur. Am I making waves huffing and puffing at the good advice of loving friends (even when it hurts) telling them how wrong they are running towards the one who agrees with my insanity or am I willing to humble myself and deal? Tough question.

I want to be a peacemaker not a wave-maker. I want people to know they can come to me with tough stuff and not have to feel like they are walking on egg shells. I want to have honest loving relationships that deal with the ugly and gnarled untangling the relentless knots of life together instead of tearing each other apart.

One thing I have learned in life is that conflict is going to come. It's inevitable. I can't hide from it. I have got to learn to deal. I have also learned that maybe, just maybe, I may be the culprit of the conflict. I need to stop and evaluate whether or not I am the one making waves and ask myself if they are necessary. Conflict can be good when dealt with properly. I want to be on the right side of conflict owning up and humbling myself as I work through the junk. I want others to know I am a safe place to fall. I want to learn to be a peacemaker calming the seas not creating tidal waves.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." Matthew 5:9

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.