Skip to main content

Enemies

We have many enemies. Turn on any news channel and you will hear the latest on terrorists. The political race makes people question whether or not the next leader of the free world will be an enemy to our values or not. That same political race makes enemies of friends. The mirror, the scale, the friend who spoke behind our back: all deemed enemies. The person who got the job promotion instead of us, the addiction, the one who wronged us: enemies.

What I have learned as of late, is that while these things, these people, can seem like enemies in my life, I am my one true enemy. I have an inability to wrestle with myself. Or, maybe I wrestle with myself too much tearing myself to nothing. Either way, I have learned that others really aren’t my enemy. I am.

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.” Psalm 139:23

I wrote about this verse recently. I have parked here for a bit. I don’t think the devil likes it. The moment I make one step towards victory, you better believe he is there to tear me down. I keep pressing on, however, because I don’t want enemies anymore; especially the enemy within. I want to train my focus on Jesus wrestling with my issues that war within me.

Like most of us, I desire peace. How can I make peace with others if I cannot make peace with me? One thing a wise friend told me recently was that our flesh, our person, is going to naturally resist, defend, and hide any sort of criticism or issue in our life even when we know or suspect that we are actually sinning. It is 100% against our nature to resist reproofing whether that comes from God, the Word, or a trusted friend or loved one. We don’t like to face or deal with our issues. It hurts. It’s hard. It’s lonely. Yet, it is vital to our spiritual and mental health.

“Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD.” Lamentations 3:40

The good news is, once we realize we have hidden issues we need to deal with, God is right beside us to journey it out. He wants nothing less than victory in our lives. He desires us to return to him; to open our hearts to freely accept his love and grace. We can’t receive that precious love when we have all this junk blocking the road.

“There is a difference between issues and behaviors. You can’t change your behavior if you don’t deal with your issues. You either attach yourself to your issues or you avoid them. What are you hiding from? Deal with your issues so you can change your behavior.” Pastor Steven Furtick

Love & Blessings,

Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.