Skip to main content

People

'But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7

I was talking to a neighbor the other day about time. We were discussing getting older and how your perspective shifts as you grow up. One thing that we both had in common is how things don't bother us as much as they used to. It's not that we don't care. Those things that used to frustrate, anger, or paralyze me no longer have a hold on me.

People are going to talk. People are going to have their opinions. People are not going to understand, not going to know the full story, aren't going to care yet develop a negative perspective of me. Thus is life. It's not that these people are bad people. Typically, they mean no harm. Somehow, it seems, we are wired to jump to a conclusion about someone based on someone else's perspective or opinion or a story we've been told regardless if we have all the facts. The Bible even tells us that it is in our human nature to look at the outside, the general, and not into the depth of ones heart and soul.

This knowledge, this maturity, has led me on a road of releasing myself from the bondage that can be others' opinion of me. Now, don't get me wrong. I have people in my life whom I love and adore that if they felt negatively about me it would break me in half. I am not necessarily talking about them or those moments. Nor am I talking about the "iron sharpening iron' relationships in which you have to have those really hard conversations about something someone sees in me that needs changing. What I am releasing myself from is carrying the burden of an unattainable standard.

I cannot please everyone. Not everyone is going to like me. People are going to hold false opinions about me based on what someone else has said or something they assume. That is okay and I am okay with that. The reason I can be so bold to say that I do not allow these things, these people's opinions, to impact me is because I have an audience of one: God. The only standard I need to live up to is His. God is so tender, so full of love and grace and mercy that even when I mess up (which occurs daily) He has His arms wide open waiting for me to return to Him. As long as I am in line with Him, I know I am good.

When I have to do hard things, say hard things, make hard decisions and people cannot understand and don't take the time to know my heart, that's alright. God knows and I trust that He will reveal to me when I am on the wrong path. All I need to do is stay the course lining my life up to the Word of God.

So, the next time I wonder what is being said about me or the opinions people are forming about me based on false allegations, I will rest in knowing that they are not my measuring rod. He is.

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under peoples' feet. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5: 10-16

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grady's Story

Grady Steven Fish 7lbs. 3oz. 19 1/2inches April 25, 2009 4:45pm SURPRISE! Actually, I think absolute shock is more appropriate! This was me a week ago...happy at 36 weeks pregnant with not much happening. I thought for sure that I had at least 2 weeks left, if not four. I did, however, frantically run around town that day getting all the things I thought I needed to get just in case. Good thing I am a little neurotic and OCD because it paid off a few days later. I have had contractions on and off since I was 25 weeks pregnant or so. I never thought anything of them because they were so sporadic and fairly painless. Friday camearound and I noticed that I was having more contractions than usual. Grady was still moving about so I didn't worry much. Around 2:30pm that day I laid down because the contractions were coming on a little stronger and closer together. I called Scott to let him know and honestly, to see when he was coming home from work. Jackson was still napping and I wasn...

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil...

Joys and Sorrows

Ok,so I don't really know what to say. All I know is that writing is therapeutic for me and I think I need a little therapy right now. Where to begin? I guess with my doctor appointment. I went in for my routine 12 week check-up only to find out some grim news...the baby had no heartbeat and stopped developing at 10 weeks. No...this cannot be happening...again. There is just no way. God wouldn't allow this to happen again. Yet, it did. How am I feeling, you ask? Honestly, I don't really know. I am deeply saddened, angry,hurt, overwhelmed, fearful, determined, full of faith, lacking in faith, etc., etc. How should I be feeling? What should I do now? Do I sit and cry or do I go finish the errands I need to get done today? I am at a loss. What I do know is that less then a week ago I was experiencing such great joy. I watched my son enjoy the very things I loved as a child. I enjoyed time spent with my husband and with us as a family. I felt my toes in the sand, watched my fav...