Skip to main content

Audience of One

"If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

I am a backstage girl trapped in a spotlight body. I love to serve and give and love on others. Typically, all is done quietly and goes unnoticed. I say I don't like attention and recognition, but, if I am being honest, it's nice to be in the spotlight sometimes. If I could stand and speak to a sold out crowd about Jesus and receive a standing ovation, my soul would most likely dance. Lately, however, I have been reminded that while I would love the applause and recognition of the world, I have an audience of One.

Opinions of others matter to me. I try not to let them matter, but they do. What can I say? I care what people think about me. I care about what is being said about me when I am not present. A couple years ago, I latched onto the saying, "confidence in Christ." I ran after the concept of finding my confidence in Him and Him alone. I still chase this dream knowing I am inching closer to my confidence in my Creator becoming my norm.

I believe confidence in Christ and realizing we have an audience of One go hand-in-hand. There is so much to be debated today; so many differing strong opinions. I hope, pray, and wish for every soul to truly know the truth about Jesus. Sometimes, however, I am completely misunderstood and begin to feel like I am very alone and isolated in this big wide world.

I talked to a trusted friend the other day. I had posted what I thought was a repost about love, listening, and living out the cause of Christ but it quickly became controversial. I felt alone and a little like I was living in the twilight zone. My heart was for Christ. My heart bled for those who felt persecuted by the church unloved and abandoned. But my audience saw something different. They saw something that seemed a little scary and maybe a little against what they have been taught in the church.

As I talked through my thoughts and opinions on my little controversy, she helped me realize and reminded me that I have an audience of One. As long as my heart is right with the Truth, I am good. I don't need accolades or acceptance of this world. I just need His approval and His alone. I no longer give others control of my soul. No one gets to choose my value and worth for me. I find it in Him.

Time and again, throughout Scripture, God reminds us that He is our spotlight. He is the only audience that matters. We are going to be mocked, gossiped about, misunderstood, questioned, abandoned, and have mistruths spoken about our lives. It doesn't matter. He is our listening ears. He knows our truths and our hearts. While we love and appreciate the opinions of others about ourselves, it isn't about them at the the end of the day.

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:1-5

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.