Skip to main content

Sucked In

I love chasing the boys and the dog around with the vacuum hose. I get some kind of weird satisfaction when I catch them. They laugh so hard when I finally do catch them and suck them in. Well, the dog doesn't laugh so much, but the boys do. Something about the chase and the anticipation of being sucked in by the vacuum brings all kinds of joy.

I experience another kind of being sucked in that doesn't bring so much laughter. I get sucked into other's people's lives and it doesn't always bring me joy.

'Whether you turn to the right or the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

I look to my right and left ALL the time. Meanwhile, I am missing that voice behind me; the voice that is FAR more important than those on either side.

I was sitting by the pool scrolling and trolling on Instagram while the boys swam. I saw a picture on Instagram of two boys sitting in adirondack chairs on the beach by the lake. "Ahhh!" I thought. "That looks heavenly. I want that. I want that moment with my kids." And then the boys began pulling on each other making one another angry and the arguing began. Reality. I was no where near a lake and my boys weren't sitting peacefully in chairs on a beach.

I get sucked into other people's lives easily. I watch Pioneer Woman and all of a sudden want to give up everything and move my family to a farm in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. Disregard our life here. I am out. I watch shows about families with multiplies and all of a sudden have baby fever and my husband falls over and secretly wants to admit me to the loony bin. I see pictures on my feed of beautifully decorated homes and all of a sudden need to revamp every room in the house right this very minute. I. GET. SUCKED. IN.

I get pulled into other people's lives desiring what they have chasing their lives, all the while, missing my own. I am currently rereading, The Best Yes, and this spoke to me: "I asked the God of the universe to intersect my life with His revelation, then got up from my prayers and forgot to look. Forgot to seek Him. Forgot to keep my heart in tune with His voice and His invitation." (Lysa Terkeurst)

The book is about creating your best yes and being okay with saying no. However, this section spoke to me on a different level than just saying yes or no. I began to wonder how often I asked God to intervene, to show me, to bless me and He did but I was too busy being sucked into someone else's life to notice my own. I missed His hand in my life, an opportunity He put before me, because someone else's picture seemed much more enticing than my own.

I put my book down. I put my phone down. And I watched. I watched my boys play and argue and resolve their issues. I watched my six year old have a single-man dance party just because he felt the need to shake his groove thing. I saw my ten year old be a good big brother to his siblings...a role I cried to God for for Him in prayer before his brothers were born. I saw. I actually witnessed the beauty of my own life instead of being sucked into others'.

I am not good at this...yet. I still like my reality TV and Instagram. I love seeing pictures of other people's achievements and vacations. But, what I am trying to do more often is to stop and notice that God is actually intervening. He is answering my prayers and putting opportunities in front of me to serve. He is blessing and I am trying to open my eyes wider to see it. I will allow the thief to steal the joy in my life no more. My prayer is that I get sucked into my own life and let others live theirs.

"The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." John 10:10

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.