Skip to main content

Miss Them

It's time. Vacation was taken. Time was spent with friends. We did cannon balls into the pool and chased fireflies. We roasted marshmallows to make s'mores and stayed up entirely too late. We've eaten loads of popcorn and seen summer movies. Our eyes are gazed over from an over-abundance of technology and we've stayed in our jammies for far too long. It is time.

I need to miss them. They need to miss me. They need to miss each other. The bickering and groans of "I'm bored" have exceeded the daily quota this past week.

School begins on Monday and while I always get a little sad this time of year (I realize time is fleeting and our most precious resource), it is time for everyone to go. There is something about leaving one another for a time and coming back together. You realize how much you missed those people; how much they mean to you and how much you love them. Time away from one another enlightens us and helps us remember why we love and do the things we do for one another in the first place. I am convinced small doses of separation is key to a healthy relationship.

My husband primarily works from home and travels some. His current contract determines where he's at. Lately, he has had to drive into the office daily. Our oldest thinks his dad is gone forever and works SO late (the latest he gets home is 5:30pm). Daddy is not at the boys' beckon call throughout the day and that threw them for a bit. But now, I feel like they appreciate their father and see how hard he works for us a little more. The time the boys spent with their dad while we were on vacation was invaluable. They couldn't get enough of his time. Time away helped them realize time with their father is important. Hopefully, this sticks as they get older.

Jesus talked to his disciples on this very topic. He told his friends that he had to leave in order for the Holy Spirit to come. God's plan entailed Jesus' not being on this earth physically. If he were here day -in-day-out, we would walk past him flippantly without a care in the world and no need for him. His absence creates a hole that can only be filled by faith and the Spirit. He had to leave in order for us to realize we need him. (John 14:1-31)

Same is true for us. We need to miss each other. We need time away so that we are better when we reunite. I need to miss my boys. My boys need to miss me. They need to miss each other.

As much as I want to press pause on this precious time in our lives (I love ages 6, 7, and 10), I know I cannot. I realize that time will speed up the moment their new shoes hit the ground running towards their new classrooms. I can rest, however, in our innate need to miss each other and realize that this time is also good for the soul.

I will miss my boys something fierce each day as I send them off on that big school bus. I will also enjoy going to the grocery store by myself without having to tell someone every five seconds to stop touching all the things. I will also enjoy a quiet car in which I can listen to whatever I fancy. And then, I will take my mama self outside on the porch and impatiently wait for my three stinky turkies to get off that bus and tell me all about their day. I need to miss them.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

“Don’t be troubled. Believe in God, and believe in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms. If that were not true, would I have told you that I’m going to prepare a place for you? 3 If I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again. Then I will bring you into my presence so that you will be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”

5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you’re going. So how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus answered him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one goes to the Father except through me. 7 If you have known me, you will also know my Father. From now on you know him through me and have seen him in me.”

8 Philip said to Jesus, “Lord, show us the Father, and that will satisfy us.”

9 Jesus replied, “I have been with all of you for a long time. Don’t you know me yet, Philip? The person who has seen me has seen the Father. So how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? What I’m telling you doesn’t come from me. The Father, who lives in me, does what he wants. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and that the Father is in me. Otherwise, believe me because of the things I do.

12 “I can guarantee this truth: Those who believe in me will do the things that I am doing. They will do even greater things because I am going to the Father. 13 I will do anything you ask the Father in my name so that the Father will be given glory because of the Son. 14 If you ask me to do something, I will do it.

15 “If you love me, you will obey my commandments. 16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another helper who will be with you forever. 17 That helper is the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it doesn’t see or know him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be in you.

18 “I will not leave you all alone. I will come back to you. 19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. You will live because I live. 20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father and that you are in me and that I am in you. 21 Whoever knows and obeys my commandments is the person who loves me. Those who love me will have my Father’s love, and I, too, will love them and show myself to them.”

22 Judas (not Iscariot) asked Jesus, “Lord, what has happened that you are going to reveal yourself to us and not to the world?”

23 Jesus answered him, “Those who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will go to them and make our home with them. 24 A person who doesn’t love me doesn’t do what I say. I don’t make up what you hear me say. What I say comes from the Father who sent me.

25 “I have told you this while I’m still with you. 26 However, the helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything. He will remind you of everything that I have ever told you.

27 “I’m leaving you peace. I’m giving you my peace. I don’t give you the kind of peace that the world gives. So don’t be troubled or cowardly. 28 You heard me tell you, ‘I’m going away, but I’m coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I’m going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I am.

29 “I’m telling you this now before it happens. When it does happen, you will believe. 30 The ruler of this world has no power over me. But he’s coming, so I won’t talk with you much longer. 31 However, I want the world to know that I love the Father and that I am doing exactly what the Father has commanded me to do. Get up! We have to leave.”

John 14:1-31
Bible Gateway

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.