Skip to main content

WWJD

There was a fad years ago. People would wear bracelets and T-shirts with the acronym, "WWJD" written on it. There were bumper stickers and coffee mugs. People could not get enough of the What Would Jesus Do phenomenon.

I parked in the parking lot and sat for a moment. Today was my first day to run errands without kids in months. Summer was over and the boys were back in school. I missed them but the silence felt good in that moment. I got out of my car and notice a sticker on the minivan next to me. It said, "Smiling is a charity." I love that. A smile goes a long way in someone else's day. A moment later, I noticed the quote was from Mohammed and the sticker was promoting Islam.

Ironically, the SUV right next to this minivan also had a sticker on the back window. This sticker had a cross, an equals sign, and a heart implying the cross equals love. Hmmmmm. I had to take a picture. There was something about these two cars parking right next to each other haphazardly that spoke to me.

I wanted to know more about the driver of the minivan. I assumed she, like me, was a mama who was just as excited about going to Target alone. There is something divine about roaming those aisles in the silence. I also wanted to find the driver of the SUV with the cross sticker. How would that person react if he/she knew the owner of the vehicle parked next to them was a follower of Islam. Would that cross really show love to that person?

I looked at the picture I took of the two cars and noticed yet another conundrum. I was at Target. Oh, good gravy. Target. We all love Target but we didn't love them so much a few months ago. Us Christians and many that don't follow the faith had a field day with good ole Target and the decisions they made.

So, there I sat. I was parked next to a minivan with an Islamic owner, another SUV with a Christian owner, about to head into a controversial super store.

And then the phrase, WWJD, popped into my head. Where would Jesus go if He were me? Would He have moved his vehicle a few rows away out of fear of what that Islamic driver might do? Would He even enter such a controversial store?

No. No, I believe He wouldn't. He would be right up in all the business. He would park next to that car and invite that person to eat. He would walk into Target loving on every single soul in there doing life with the people. He would be the first one to walk alongside.

Why then, do we, especially Christians, shun people and businesses that do not follow our beliefs when the One who saved us would be right in the thick of it? Why do we move our cars to get away from those who follow different religions? Why do we attack and picket places that never followed Christian values in the first place?

We are scared. We are like the religious leaders and Pharisees Jesus shunned and spoke against in the New Testament. We are them and we have got to stop.

An innocent parking place opened my eyes to so much. There are many things the church gets right, but this is one area where we struggle. We run. We hide. We run our mouths. When, instead, we should be right in the thick of it because that is exactly where Jesus would have parked his car.

Where are you going to park your car today? Where are you going to visit that may make you a little uncomfortable? Where are you going to go, what are you going to do, to show the love of Christ today? I promise you that moving your car because the minivan next to you makes you uncomfortable is not it.

Go. Do. Be the hands and feet of Jesus. Don't walk away. Don't be afraid. Don't move your car. He's got you. He will help you through the uncomfortable and the scary. If Jesus would park His car there, so will I.

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.