Skip to main content

Heathens

Welcome to the room of people
Who have rooms of people that they loved one day
Docked away
Just because we check the guns at the door
Doesn't mean our brains will change from hand grenades
You're lovin' on the psychopath sitting next to you
You're lovin' on the murderer sitting next to you
You'll think, how'd I get here, sitting next to you?
But after all I've said, please don't forget

All my friends are heathens, take it slow
Wait for them to ask you who you know
Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse
All my friends are heathens, take it slow
Wait for them to ask you who you know
Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse
~Heathens by 21 Pilots

My oldest son loves 21 Pilots. Anytime he gets in my car he turns on their music. The other day, on the way to church, we changed the song from, "This is amazing grace" to "Heathens" by 21 Pilots. We all had a good laugh because that seemed like quite a jump. And then my husband said something interesting. He mentioned that Jesus probably would have liked the song because, quite frankly, it talks about the type of people Jesus hung out with.

Jesus defied all rules, regulations, stigmas, and opinions in order to be near the heathens. He befriended the tax collector who really was a thief, the harlot, the lowly fisherman, the betrayer, the sick, the wounded, the ugly, and the messy. He easily could have chosen the religious leaders but he didn't. Instead, he spent his time with the heathens.

He sat down next to the murderer, the psychopath, the adulterer and showed them grace. He gave them time and took it slow showing them love and tenderness, all the while, teaching them about the overwhelming grace that awaited them on the other side of redemption. He wasn't afraid of what others' might think. He didn't change seats when the one who sinned so badly sat down next to him. Nope. Instead, he stayed and he showed the heathen that he mattered.

It is Holy Week: the week we remember all the things that happened, had to happen, and the prophecy fulfilled leading up to the death and resurrection of Jesus. This week we remember that one of Jesus' closest friends would betray him leading him to his death. But, Jesus loved him anyway. We learned that one of Jesus' inner circle would deny knowing him. Yet, Jesus loved him anyway. We saw Jesus share a meal with a bunch of known heathens entrusting the Gospel with these men because he loved them. He knew their pasts would be redeemed on an old rugged cross so he loved them despite their shady life stories.

Jesus loved the heathen. Do we? Jesus was beaten, torn, and hung for the heathen. He shared meals, spent valuable time with, and sacrificed his life for the heathen. Do we?

I think we easily forget that we were once that heathen. We find salvation and forget our story. We leave it behind burying deep under the earth hoping no one will find our crazy. In doing so, we forget about the rest of the heathens that don't yet know they have access to a Savior that loves them so.

Jesus came for the heathen. He took it slow and made sure to take a seat next to them. He didn't point out their heathenness because he didn't have to. They already knew their story. He loved. He extended grace. He spoke dignity into their lives giving them a fresh hope. Are we doing the same?

Holy Week is as good a time as any to reflect and ask ourselves if we are loving the heathen, this world, well. It's a good time to reflect on Jesus, his life, why he came, and who he came for reminding ourselves that EVERYONE matters to God. EVERY. SINGLE. HUMAN. MATTERS. They matter to him. So they should matter to us.

Rest in mercy. Give grace. Be kind. Love relentlessly.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.