Skip to main content

I watched Passion of the Christ with my kids. Here's how it went...

I got the crazy idea to watch The Passion of the Christ with my boys on this Good Friday. From the moment I saw the film, I knew I wanted my children to see it and I didn't even have any kids when the movie first came out. We can never know the brevity of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. This movie gives us a small glimpse into that reality and that's what I wanted my kids to see: reality. Not some fairy tale.

My boys are about to all bump up a year. We are heading into birthday season. But, right now they are six, seven, and ten. They have gone to church since they were in my belly. They know who Jesus is and what he did for us. My biggest concern, I think I can speak for both my husband and I on this, is that our children's faith will be because of mom and dad and not their own. I think I fear this more than I fear them walking away from God all together. I want Jesus to be real to them. I want them to feel him in their guts. I knew this movie would be a stepping stone to get them there.

Let me start by saying that I was somewhat terrified that I may scar my children for life by showing them such a graphic film. That, or they will have nightmares for forever. I was apprehensive and held my breath during certain scenes. But, let me just tell you, if you want Good Friday to be real to you, watch this film through the eyes of your children.

I had one kiddo fall asleep almost instantly. I need to give this kid some grace though. We were all up extremely late due to a sleepover last night and the boys woke up this morning before the rooster crows. I am surprised any of us lasted past 6pm tonight.

Another child, my thinker, watched and was not horrified. Instead, he accepted what Jesus did almost in a way of completely understanding the fact that this absolutely had to happen to dissolve us all of our sins. Like, he completely got it on an academic and theological level (totally his dad). I do think his seeing Jesus' body tattered and torn will be forever etched in his memory, just in a different way than maybe I see it. And you know what? That is the most incredible thing to me because its HIS.

My last boy lost it. And when I say lost it, I mean he was sobbing uncontrollably at parts. Full body convulsions with guttural sobs (this is his mama in him). Watching Jesus being beaten and hung on the cross absolutely wrecked this kid. My heart was ripped right out of my chest. Watching him come to the realization of the gravity of what his Savior did for him because he loved him that much was the most gut-wrenching yet overwhelmingly amazing moment. Seriously. Besides my own salvation, marrying my husband, and birthing my children, this moment is one of the most sacred moments of my life.

I didn't know what I'd get showing my boys this movie but I am glad I did. Good Friday never looked so sacred before in my life. I have fasted on Good Friday, gone to church, spent time in the Bible and in prayer but nothing has compared to watching my children see their Savior do what he did for them, for me, for you.

I wonder if this is what Jesus feels when we finally wrap our heads around the magnitude of what he did for us; what we can wrap our little human minds around anyway. I honestly believe our children teach us more about faith than most things. Tonight was no different. I go to bed feeling completely wrecked but so very whole all at the same time.

Oh, how I pray that my boys' faith doesn't stop in this moment. Rather, I pray it's a catalyst for a deep and wide faith relationship with their precious Savior who loved them so much that he was ravaged for them. I pray that they may find an exorbitant amount of hope knowing they weren't meant to live in Friday: that they may relish in knowing Sunday's coming.

I pray this for you, too. That if you don't know a Savior that loves you so much he would give his life for you, that you may find him. I pray for those searching to find the One who seeks and saves the lost. I pray that Jesus may be so very real to all of us and that Easter is every day not just once a year.

Sunday's Coming.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.