Skip to main content

Give a Little Love: When a Neighbor Goes Rogue

I received an email from our neighborhood site. Don't we all love our neighborhood sites? It's a place where crazy can brew. I must say, our little corner is pretty mild and full of more support and kindness than drama. Until recently.

One of the things that drew us to our neighborhood was the look of the community. The shared places were gorgeous, beautifully maintained, and inviting. Recently, however, those spaces have lacked some tender loving care. A few have taken to our site to ask advice, not bring drama, to the situation. There are some houses that need some love, as well, and our HOA management company is aware (gotta love an HOA). Everyone seemed supportive of one another most neighbors offering assistance to those whose yards have overgrown not to be rude or demeaning, but because I truly feel our neighbors really do care about one another.

Well, one neighbor did not take that so kindly. She was very angry and wished ill-will on the "tattle-tale" who judged her yard/home. Unfortunately, she jumped to conclusions, as we all can. I read her post and my heart sank. I had two feelings: anger and sadness. I was angry that she had jumped to conclusions so quickly. It may not have been a neighbor who said anything. The management company drives the neighborhood often to make sure all the boxes are checked on the HOA rules. My initial reaction to her post was that of, "Who is she wishing such horrible circumstances on someone who may have not said a word." Then I felt sad for her. How sad she must be feeling to lash out that way about her neighbors. I kind of wanted to go knock on her door and tell her she got it all wrong but, that is not the best idea. So, I decided to attack this drama in a different way.

I decided to give a little love.

Love goes so much further than attacks, anger, and animosity. After reading her post, I realized this woman is hurting. She isn't lashing out because she is so angry. Well, she probably is. But, people don't behave that way because their life is all rainbows and sunshine. She needs a little love. And that's what I am going to give her. If I see them outside, I will smile and wave. I will ask how they are doing and be kind. I may even write an anonymous letter letting her know that someone cares. I am going to give a little love.

And I won't stop there. I will spread the love beyond the streets of our neighborhood because love is what truly stops anger. Love ignites its own flame taking the oxygen out of the wrath of anger. Today I am going to give a little love because people are hurting and this world needs it.

You know, my husband I had a conversation while we were on a trip for our anniversary. A friend had text me with a question about religion and that sparked a deep conversation about Christians, how they are perceived, and how we are doing as a faith-group. I think some of us have forgotten one of the two greatest commandments: love others. Loving doesn't require telling others how to live. It calls us to love people right where they are, right in that moment, just as they come. That's what I want to do: give a little love.

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry" James 1:19

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.