Skip to main content

I Dare You

About three years ago, I latched onto a phrase with a vengeance. I wrote it on a chalkboard I kept in my office, scribbled it on a 3x5 card and kept it in my Bible. I wrote about it and talked about it all the time.

"Confidence in Christ"

I wanted women across the globe to find their confidence in the only One that matters and not look to those empty spaces like media, other women, and the like. We are so much more than we give ourselves credit for, and I wanted ladies to begin believing in themselves; seeing themselves for their true value and worth.

I preached this expression any chance I got. It became my passion. Yet, it has taken me years since grasping this saying to find my own confidence.

"Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." 2 Corinthians 3:4-6

I don't know if it is because I am almost forty and I just don't care anymore, or, I am actually finally coming into my own, but I think I may have finally found my confidence in the last couple of months.

People may be shocked to hear this since I tend to be an extroverted individual. I don't mind getting up and speaking in front of people. I tend to speak the truth to friends when most would shy away and let things slide. I take on roles that don't fit someone who is questioning her self-confidence, yet I struggled in this space.

Confidence is hard to come by. You want to be humble and not known as the snobby one. I tend to downplay any compliment that comes my way. I like to veer the attention off of myself and onto others. I want to be comfortable in my own skin but sometimes it feels tight and uncomfortable.

I think part of what has helped me embrace my confidence is finally going after a dream. I lived for permission and acceptance from others for too long. I am done with worrying about the world's opinion and ready to venture into some uncomfortable places in order to chase a vision I honestly believe the Lord gave me years ago. And you know what? If chasing and fulfilling this dream is solely for me, than I succeeded because I remained faithful to the calling God has given me.

Confidence cannot come from anywhere else but within. My husband can't give me my confidence. Neither can my friends. Social media sure as heck won't fill that confidence bucket. If anything, it will completely deplete it instead.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

When we lack confidence, we do so primarily out of fear. We are afraid of what others think of us (or will think of us). Or, someone told us once how bad we were at something or how unattractive we are, or how unintelligent we are, or that we are not good enough. Our self-skepticism is rooted in fear and God calls us out of fear. He tells us that we are filled with power, love, and a sound mind. If we allow fear to intimidate our confidence, we are not of sound mind.

We are built to be confident in our calling. It is how the Creator created us. He had a unique design in mind when he created you and me. It is our responsibility to walk boldly in our calling.

Honestly, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what other people think. The number of likes, followers, or readers does not equal your value. As long as you remain true to God and to yourself, your confidence is steadfast.

So go. Lead with exuberance because you are called to be exactly who you are, exactly where you are, at this exact moment in time. Own your space in this world. Claim it and live it out boldly. I dare you!

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grady's Story

Grady Steven Fish 7lbs. 3oz. 19 1/2inches April 25, 2009 4:45pm SURPRISE! Actually, I think absolute shock is more appropriate! This was me a week ago...happy at 36 weeks pregnant with not much happening. I thought for sure that I had at least 2 weeks left, if not four. I did, however, frantically run around town that day getting all the things I thought I needed to get just in case. Good thing I am a little neurotic and OCD because it paid off a few days later. I have had contractions on and off since I was 25 weeks pregnant or so. I never thought anything of them because they were so sporadic and fairly painless. Friday camearound and I noticed that I was having more contractions than usual. Grady was still moving about so I didn't worry much. Around 2:30pm that day I laid down because the contractions were coming on a little stronger and closer together. I called Scott to let him know and honestly, to see when he was coming home from work. Jackson was still napping and I wasn...

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil...

Joys and Sorrows

Ok,so I don't really know what to say. All I know is that writing is therapeutic for me and I think I need a little therapy right now. Where to begin? I guess with my doctor appointment. I went in for my routine 12 week check-up only to find out some grim news...the baby had no heartbeat and stopped developing at 10 weeks. No...this cannot be happening...again. There is just no way. God wouldn't allow this to happen again. Yet, it did. How am I feeling, you ask? Honestly, I don't really know. I am deeply saddened, angry,hurt, overwhelmed, fearful, determined, full of faith, lacking in faith, etc., etc. How should I be feeling? What should I do now? Do I sit and cry or do I go finish the errands I need to get done today? I am at a loss. What I do know is that less then a week ago I was experiencing such great joy. I watched my son enjoy the very things I loved as a child. I enjoyed time spent with my husband and with us as a family. I felt my toes in the sand, watched my fav...