Skip to main content

Your People

About a year ago, a popular writer, blogger, and speaker came under fire. She hit a wall of atrocities and did it in the public eye. She faced a ton of scrutiny and, like most of us would, shrunk back into her safe zone finding sanctity in her pack.

What I have noticed since, is a shift from the uncomfortable into the more comfortable spaces for this author. She's gravitated towards like-minded thinkers which, if we are being honest with ourselves, we all do. In this process, she has spoken out about breaking free from her branding. However, what I have noticed is that while she is freeing herself from one type of branding, she's unknowingly (or maybe consciously) moved into another branding. As much as she's wanted to completely unchain herself from the market of branding, she has done what seems to be the opposite and just re-branded herself. All the while, she's shifted those she surrounds herself with to fit the mold of the new brand.

As I watch this woman ebb and flow trying to navigate the road map of her new way, I look at myself and question who I surround myself with. Who are my people. When life pushes on me, who do I gravitate towards? Do I move towards those who whole-heartedly agree with everything that I have to say? Or, do I allow push back and challenges from my tribe? Personally, I want a little of both.

There is so much value in being supported by your peers. Of course we surround ourselves with like-minded people. It is in our humanness to want to be around people with live with a similar moral compass and lifestyle. That totally makes sense. But, I also feel it is imperative to have those people in your life that are going to call-it-like-is; the type of people that don't mind challenging your thoughts, words, and actions.

Author and speaker, Shauna Niequist, has talked about this before. She says that while she loves and appreciates all those who support her and give her a pat on the back, that isn't reality. She has an deep-rooted appreciation for the friends in her life who are real and raw with her; those that speak truths into her life even when it's difficult.

Jesus lived this way. He didn't surround himself with the spiritual elite of his day which he easily could have done. Instead, he gathered a hodge-podge of misfits to roll with. These guys (and girls) were the real-deal, the misfits, and the outlaws. They questioned him over and over again (see the story of the disciples in the boat when the storm came and Peter denying Jesus multiple times). While these guys were immensely committed to the cause of Christ, they also were real and vulnerable; totally themselves.

I desire this in my life. Look, I don't like to hear the bad stuff. I would love to live in harmony with everyone around me but that wouldn't do anything for me. Instead, it would limit my possibilities. I can't grow and change and achieve without a little push-back and honesty from my friends. Life is a mess sometimes and in that space, we need the friends that can be tender and understanding empowering us in our vision. Other times, however, we need them to speak into our lives and speak up for us when we are going a little off the rails.

I challenge you to keep the seemingly nay-sayers around. You never know. They may just push you into a version of yourself you never seemed possible.

Love & Blessings,
Megan

'That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”' Matthew 4:35-41 (emphasis mine)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.