Skip to main content

Monday Musings~Accepting Blessings

I am not good at accepting gifts/blessings. I would much rather see other people get gifts and rejoice with them when they are blessed in their lives. I think part of my problem is that I feel undeserving. I just feel like I already have been blessed so richly that I do not deserve anything more. I also believe that I put up a "wall of protection" around my mind and myself not allowing myself to accept the precious gifts that come my way because I am waiting for the inevitable "bad" thing to happen. I guess I think I am preparing myself, in a way, making the "bad" stuff not seem so awful when it does come because I've "prepared" myself for it.

I was reading a blog the other day and I was so touched. I have followed this blog since my first miscarriage sobbing uncontrollably and jumping in pure excitement for this family. They suffered two miscarriages and then, their third baby (they have one daughter who is 4), passed away with Trisomy 18 after birth. She just gave birth to a healthy baby girl last week. The day before her scheduled C-section she wrote about how strange it is to know that God had and was going to bless her so richly with a healthy baby. It was difficult for her to fathom such a blessing. I read in astonishment knowing exactly how she felt!

I have been through so much this year; not just with the loss of pregnancies, but also the loss of a loved one and some other very personal family things, not to mention witnessing the suffering and struggles of some dear friends. With that being said, I have almost accepted that life is full of suffering and I should just deal with it and move on. I have not allowed myself to comprehend and accept the Lord's blessings. Yes, I see and am grateful for His blessings everyday in my amazing marriage, getting to spend so much time with Jack, having the freedom to be a stay at home mom, having me and my family be healthy, etc. However, I can't seem to wrap my head around having a blessed season of joy where nothing goes wrong.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am struggling with accepting the beautiful gift of this pregnancy. Instead of rejoicing and allowing myself to celebrate this growing life, I am waiting for the news of loss. Even though I have been told all is well and I have even witnessed the little miracle dancing on the screen, I am still waiting. It's like when you were a child and wished and begged for that one Christmas gift you couldn't live without thinking that you probably wouldn't get it and then you do and you don't know quite what to do with it or if it is really real. However, as I read the blog from this incredible woman, I realized that I have to stop the madness. I need to allow myself some joy and give God some credit. He apparently desires to bless me with this child. The least I could do is accept His blessing.

I guess I have to let go, once again. I need to allow God to work in my life even if that means that He is doing great and wonderful and blessed things! I must rejoice and praise Him everyday for each moment I get to be pregnant for this time goes by way too quickly. So, I ask, please pray that I may enjoy this blessing and be released from the bondage of fear that something is going to go wrong. To a day filled with many blessings!

"I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing." Ezekiel 34:26

Comments

TheBigFish said…
If it'll help, I can reduce your "allowance." Maybe that'll make you feel less blessed. I'm just sayin...
Carly Peters said…
Hey Megan, I know what you mean. I've been through many difficulties with family and friends and watching others around me have crisis and I sometimes struggle with always wondering when the bad news is going to hit instead of appreciating the moments of joy and blessings God gives us. Enjoy your pregnancy girl! I will pray for you my friend. Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.