Skip to main content

Now What

'But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the sunagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belongings to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. Now as he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him. And falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" And he said, Who are you, Lord?" And he said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do." The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one. Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. ANd for three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank...
"Brother Saul,, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit." And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight...For some days he was with the disciples at Damascus. And immediately he proclaimed Jesus in the synagogues, saying, "He is the Son of God." And all who heard him were amazed and said, "Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem of those who called upon his name? And has he not come here for this purpose, to bring them bound before the chief priests?" But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the Christ.' (Acts 9:1-22)

I fell asleep around 9pm last night. My kids have not caught on to the idea that falling back an hour should bring one more sleep. They were up before the rooster crows yesterday and I was a little cranky about it. Until I realized that exhaustion was not my nemesis yesterday. It was my blessing.

My husband and I did not have the TV on yesterday. When we did crawl into bed, we decided to watch a Big Bang Theory rerun and an episode of Elementary (that's when I crashed). As my head hit the pillow, I fell into a deep hard sleep. I was not nervous about the outcome of this election. I knew I'd wake up today to a rising sun (well, I hoped anyway) and the news of whomever was to lead this fine country. I didn't need commentary or news feeds clogging my brain. God is still God regardless of who runs our government. I was at rest; peace.

We talk a lot about a country divided. What can unite a people more than a total crap storm (Excuse the language. However, sometimes it's okay to be offended). Some people are celebrating. Some are mourning. Many are at unrest because they had to vote for the "lesser of two evils." I can't say anyone went into vote rejoicing. I think many proclaimed their candidate as the most suited for the job. However, I can't say for certainty that any of us was overjoyed with our options.

With that being said, I absolutely do not believe all hope is lost. I actually know that it is not. Jesus still died on the cross. He was still buried in a borrowed grave only to be raised to life. An election does not and will not ever change the fact that we have a Redeemer.

I am currently reading through the Minor Prophets. The Minor Prophets are at the end of the Old Testament right before God goes silent for 400 years. What I am learning as I read these writings is that God thrives in the chaos. He is always present in peace for he is the God of Peace. However, his strength and power resonates loudest in the chaos. He tells us to not fear and reminds us he is still present when everything seems out of order and upside down. He knows we need disorder and confusion because it draws us near to him. Mayhem is not to be feared. God works loudest in upheaval. Rest, my dear friends, for he is working behind the scenes for our good. We only need to be still.

I opened this blog with the story of Paul. Paul was once called Saul before God got a hold of him. Saul was a murderer. He would be on the FBI's most wanted list for terrorism. He sought after Christians like no other bringing them to his determination and order of justice killing them for their belief in Jesus. Saul was not the man you'd want to be president, let alone the primary contributor of the Scriptures. But, that's exactly what God did. God saw a man with a scary past that would send anyone into hiding and used him anyway. Saul was not qualified for the job. He should have been imprisoned and sentenced to death. Yet, the God of the universe saw this man as the perfect candidate for starting the Christian church as we know it today. Hmmmm...

No matter who is in office, they are never too far from God. Never. No story is too great for redemption. No past is too jaded to be used for God's glory. If God can remove the scales from Paul's eyes, he can do the same for our president elect. No need to fear.

The more I dive into the idiosyncrasies of my faith, the more at peace I become. My eyes are open to every day miracles. I rest in knowing the my life is not dependent on who lives in a big white house. I am still saved. I am still full of love and grace. My tax form may look different and my health care may cost a little less, but my salvation is secure.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. What matters is how we loved. Your world is a reflection of how you live. You can live angry, hurt, and resentful for the next four years. Or, you can live at rest, with peace, great hope, and a tremendous amount of love because you are redeemed and nothing in this world can take that from you.

Do not fret. Do not stop putting love into action. Do not forget that God is still big and can still remove scales from our eyes. Don't trap Him in a box. That's not where He resides. Be still and know that He is still God in the midst of chaos.

Rest for His love endures forever.

Love & Blessings,
Meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Miracle

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10 "You are the God who performs miracles; You will display Your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14 Meet our miracle...and our secret. Yes, it is true. I am pregnant; about twelve weeks and a few days to be exact. We wanted to make sure this baby was healthy before announcing how great God has been to us! We have known about this precious little blessing for a little over two months and have eagerly awaited numerous sonogram and test results. We have witnessed God's mighty, yet gentle, hand every Tuesday for the past five weeks. This baby is a fighter. However, the road is not "clear" quite yet. We met with the pareanatoligist today to do a sonogram and blood test to determine if there are any chromosomal abnormalities; specifically Downs, and Trisomy 13 and 18. Although the sonogram looked great and the doctor said we were in the "safe zone," we are stil

Don't Lose You

When Jackson was a baby, I would hop into my car on my lunch break and rush to his day care to see him. I had thirty minutes with my baby and I needed every last second. I was a mess of a new mom and had a really hard time leaving him everyday. I was caught in the conundrum of loving teaching with all that I was and loving being a mom desperately wanting to stay home. I established a neat relationship with Jack's care-takers. They were a little older than me and much wiser. They will never fully know how appreciative I am for their advice and comfort during those beginning moments as a mama. When I decided to leave my teaching career and move halfway across the country to do so, they gave me a piece of advice that I didn't take seriously initially but now hold dear. They told me I had to find something for me. They watched me finish my master's that year and knew I was the type that needed to be doing. They recognized that I was about to enter a season where I had to hold

Monday Musings~You have been called...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14 ...to pray. Meet our newest addition; baby Fish. I am officially 8 weeks four days pregnant! PRAISE GOD!!!! We saw our precious miracle today for the second time; heart flickering away on the monitor with little arm and leg buds beginning to form. The doctor gave us a great report telling us that everything looks perfect...can't get any better than that. God is so good to us. We are blessed beyond belief to experience the miracle of life once again. Please pray for our growing family and our precious growing angel. We feel the presence of God daily and welcome and need your prayers.